It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Planning with the predecessor of the parent work item

Dávid Tóth (112) | asked Jul 11 '12, 6:53 a.m.
retagged Jul 25 '12, 9:04 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)

We are using Formal Project Management Process Configuration in our Project Area and using the traditional planning feature.

I have a question about configuring predecessor for a group of work item. When you use MS Project setting predecessor/successor for task groups (which is the parent task of a task) MS Project would consider these relations for the child tasks as well. In RTC this is not the case, RTC ignores any settings of the parent work item. This is mainly the problem when you import a project from MS Project, and the two tools consider these relations differently so the scheduling of the tasks would be different.

So for example let's have the following hierarchy for example:

Summary Task 1
--- Task1_1
--- Task1_2
--- Task1_3
Summary Task 2
--- Task2_1
--- Task2_2
--- Task2_3

If you set the Summary Task 1 to be the predecessor of Summary Task 2, than MS Project would plan all the child tasks of 
Summary Task 1 before any subtask of the Summary Task 2. This is done differently in RTC, as it does not consider anything like this and plans these tasks ignoring this predecessor relation.

The only possible way I found to work this around is to set the parent work item to be the Successor of the child work items, but this is a very inconvenient and error prone way to do this. 

So the thing I wanted to ask you if you know anything to do about this or any other possible workaround to do this.

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Jul 12 '12, 12:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a known limitation of the Traditional scheduler in RTC. The following work item tracks this issue:

Thanks,
Sharoon

Comments
Dávid Tóth commented Jul 12 '12, 6:41 a.m.

Thanks for the answer! So this is not going to be resolved in the near feature as I understand.

Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala commented Jul 12 '12, 10:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi David,

Currently the enhancement is in Backlog, I have marked the priority as High for consideration for the next release but at this point its not a committed feature.

Thanks, Sharoon

omar pimentel commented Jan 23 '14, 3:29 p.m.

Hello,

What is the current state of this requirement?  Is it enable for release 4.0.2?

Thanks

sam detweiler commented Jan 23 '14, 5:51 p.m.

still sitting in backlog 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.