It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When will RTC support visual studio 2012 RC?

Ryan Manwiller (98835) | asked Jul 09 '12, 2:01 p.m.
edited Jul 09 '12, 2:10 p.m.
The VS2012 release candidate is out. We would really like to move to it, but lack of RTC support holds us back.

What is the ETA of even an early  build supporting VS 2012?

I am looking for something other than "90 days after VS 2012 GA". I'm looking for a sign that development is happening and that hopefully there are milestone builds that can be tested soon.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jul 10 '12, 3:43 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ryan,
    You can get your 4.0 RTC client to work with VS 2012  - we don't yet support it officially of course - for that we need to wait till it's released. But if you just want to test it, you could enable the install into VS 2012. You need to set the environment variable "IBM_RTC_VS11_ENABLED" to "true" and then start the IBM Install Manager.
   It's recommended that you use this in a test environment and not in a production environment till it's officially supported.
Cheers
--Rupa
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ryan Manwiller commented Jul 10 '12, 10:06 a.m.

Perfect, thanks!

Doug Cutting commented Aug 17 '12, 11:47 a.m.

I just installed RTC client in VS2012 RTM. Our company is getting ready to switch to RTC. One of the features in VS2012 I really like is the new code compare tool, but RTC instead uses it's own. Is there a way to allow it to use the VS internal tool instead?

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Aug 21 '12, 5:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Are you talking about default file-comparison tool integrated with Visual Studio which is discussed at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385990.aspx? This diff window seems tied to TFS, in which case RTC will not be able to use it. Please let us know if this is not what you meant.

• RTC VS team

Priyadarshini Gorur commented May 08 '17, 11:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I revisited this recently when contemplating dropping support for Visual Studio 2010 in a future release, and I saw there are three ways of invoking the integrated diff tool in Visual Studio 2012, per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13752998/compare-two-files-in-visual-studio-2012

We will explore these options as part of Create an integrated compare editor In the VS Client (228326)

Priyadarshini Gorur commented Jul 06 '17, 4:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Though, on the surface, it seemed like the utility was tied to Team Foundation Server, turned out, it isn’t. I have written up a tip on configuring RTC with Visual Studio's compare tool at https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2017/06/29/using-visual-studios-built-in-diffmerge-tool-with-rational-team-concert/

5 other answers

permanent link
Travis Hyatt (611115) | answered Aug 27 '12, 11:19 a.m.

Hi Rupa,

I'm near certain that I know the answer to this question but I will ask just in case I'm wrong:

The 4.0 RTC client for visual studio won't work with older versions of jazz server will it?  We are running I20110128-1600 (1.0.0.2 iFix 6).

Thanks,

Travis

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 27 '12, 11:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Travis,

the answer you probably expect is the correct one. The clients are supposed to support N-1 which means the 3.0.x client can access the 4.0 Server. Unfortunately this was not always the case either.

permanent link
Travis Hyatt (611115) | answered Aug 27 '12, 11:32 a.m.
Thanks. Let me ask you this then, our QA team is working with IBM (which I didn't know a few moments ago) to upgrade to a more recent version of RTC server.  What is the minimum server version we will need to have installed so that we can use the visual studio client that will work with Visual Studio 2012?

Comments
David Olsen commented Aug 28 '12, 7:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The first RTC client that will support VS 2012 (without the workaround mentioned in another answer) will be 4.0.1. To use a 4.0.1 client, your server will need to be at least 4.0.1. Older clients can work with newer servers (up to a point), but newer clients won't work with older servers.

permanent link
Rolf Nelson (617159) | answered Aug 28 '12, 2:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The first official release to support Visual Studio 2012 will be RTC 4.0.1.   You can follow the plan items targeted for this release in the RTC4.0.1_release_plan   The plan item tracking the work for Visual Studio 2012 support is here
For planning purposes, we try to target support for new Visual Studio releases within 90 days of the final release bits availability from Microsoft. The current target for RTC 4.0.1 is Q4 2012.   The plan says 80 days from today or around the Thanksgiving holiday for final availability.  Any future changes to that date will be reflected in the plan.

You can run a mix of RTC 3.x, 4.0.x and 4.0.1 clients against a 4.0.1 server so only the teams that need VS 2012 would have to upgrade their rich clients to RTC 4.0.1.

permanent link
Rolf Nelson (617159) | answered Sep 20 '12, 5:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We recently decided to also support Visual Studio 2012 on the RTC 3.0.1.x release stream.  It will still come out first on RTC 4.0.1  Our intention is to also release full support for Visual Studio 2012 in the RTC 3.0.1.5 service pack. You can follow the progress on that here

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.