It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I work with work items off-line, and then upload changes when I am reconnected?

Mark Williamson (21145) | asked Jul 09 '12, 5:17 a.m.
edited Jul 09 '12, 2:40 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Hello All,

There have been a number of question on this topic over the last couple of years but I do not seem to have seen a definitive answer yet. Perhaps RTC 4.0 has the new features we need?
We have an RTC configuration which requires some mechanism for offline access to the workitems during meetings where there is no network access, for physical or security reasons. Is there any way that the database can be replicated and synchronized at a later date?

Is it possible to install on a external drive and then use on standalone laptop to support temporary access?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 09 '12, 2:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please remember to phrase your question summary as a specific question.

2 answers

permanent link
Jared Russell (1.3k12019) | answered Jul 09 '12, 6:30 a.m.
edited Jul 09 '12, 6:31 a.m.
The only type of database exports that RTC supports are for migrations from one environment to another, not for offline editing.

What I would suggest is creating a query that outputs all of the fields you're interested in, then exporting the query results to CSV. You can then edit the work items in Excel, and then re-import the CSV file into RTC when you're finished, thereby updating the existing work items.

Comments
Mark Williamson commented Jul 09 '12, 6:48 a.m.

Hi Jared,

Thanks for your response. I will investigate your suggestion but I suspect that there will not be enough capability in a csv download to support the offline reader requirement.

Mark

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jul 09 '12, 2:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
With the RTC Eclipse client, you can:
* Open all the work items that you might want to edit while offline.
* Make changes to those work items while offline, but not save the changes.
* Save the changes once you are back online.

This is not a great solution, since it is not possible to look at any new work items while offline.  You need to correctly guess in advance which work items you will want to look at.  And it requires the Eclipse client, which not all users normally use.  I don't think you can do something similar with the Web UI.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.