It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I upgrade from CLM 3.0.1.3 to CLM 4.0?

Adrian Daniels (6312120) | asked Jul 06 '12, 6:25 a.m.
edited Jul 06 '12, 7:48 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Currently CLM 3.0.1.3 is running on a 64bit server with a 32bit Windows 2003 R2 Operating system.

We want to migrate the box to CLM 4.0

The release notes state that the Supported Operating systems now all have to be 64bit, and for Windows 2008 / 2008 R2 OS's are supported.

So, say I can get the same box upgraded to a 64bit OS with 2008 R2

How do we do the migration without losing anything ?

Firstly I would back up the databases - currently DB2 V9.7 32 bit:
- Are there any issues importing database backups from a 32 bit to a 64 bit architecture ?

Next I would backup all the files in the Jazz server directory.

Next get the box rebuilt to a 64 bit OS.

Next install CLM v4.0 installed.

So the big question is how do I then get back to a working system from the backups?
- Do I just import the database files?
- Can I copy the original Jazz server files back on and use them with the V4.0 upgrade scripts ?

Any help and guidance greatly appreciated !

Cheers,
Adrian

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robin Parker (32633738) | answered Jul 06 '12, 1:26 p.m.
Hi Adrian,

I would do this in two steps.  32-bit 3.0.1.3 to 64-bit 3.0.1.3 first and then the upgrade to 4.0.

I don't know the answer to the question about DB2 so I would get another machine (virtual or otherwise) install 64bit OS and 64bit DB2 and just try restoring one of your backups.  If it doesn't work I would then progress to reading the documentation I'm afraid....

It would be work completing all of this in a test environment first if possible.

Once you've got the database question answered, it seems fairly straightforward to me...(Assuming your public URI is staying the same)

Stop the server
Backup databases
Backup the {jazz}/server/conf directory in its entirety
Rebuild the server using 64 bit OS
Install 64bit DB2
Install CLM 3.0.1.3
Restore the databases using the technique you established from your 32-bit -> 64-bit migration testing above
Restore your {jazz}/server/conf directory
Start the server
Check everything is OK.

I'd probably run with the server like this for a while to enable any problems to surface and be resolved.

Then its just a plan old run-of-the-mill 3.0.1.3 -> 4.0 upgrade...

HTH,

Robin
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 09 '12, 2:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please be aware that you only need to restore sertain parts of the server/conf folder. Especially if moving from 32 to 64 bit I would make sure I only resore the properties files needed (as per the backup article mentioned above).

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 06 '12, 6:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 06 '12, 6:52 a.m.
Hi Adrian,

please consider reading https://jazz.net/library/article/795. I would consider to establish a backup procedure that is tested, just in case.

For DB2 please check http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r7/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.ha.doc/doc/c0005960.html.

If you can't backup restore from DB2 on 64 bit, you can follow the topic: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/nav/6_3 describing how to migrate the DB and the Appserver. You can basically use the repotools to export and later import the databases. Please be aware that the repotools command is a long running operation and can take a considerable amount of time.

A last thought: From a performance perspective it would make sense to think about having a separate server for the DB's, in the same subnet, with a good network connection to the Servers running the Jazz application(s).

permanent link
Adrian Daniels (6312120) | answered Jul 11 '12, 5:22 a.m.
Thanks Robin and Ralph for your swift and informative responses.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.