It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How may I obtain the RQM REST API and related User Guide? I'm struggling with limited RQM reporting capabilities.

John Scarpelli (46257) | asked Jun 27 '12, 10:29 a.m.
We are running version 3.0.1.2 of RQM and are having great difficulty trying to extract (e.g., to an Excel spreadsheet) what we consider to be very basic and essential data for reporting purposes.  Namely, Test Case information (Test Case ID/Name/Description, Test Case Execution Status, and related requirements - traces to requirements in ReqPro).  I have learned the RQM REST API may be a viable solution to extracting such information since there is no apparent way via the RQM application itself.  That being the case, I cannot seem to find how to obtain the API.  I have extensive experience using the ReqPro API, but that was in conjunction with the ReqPro client application, and it's my understanding there is no client version of RQM (Web application only).  So I am also struggling with what the vehicle would be for actually utilizing the RQM REST API.  For example, are there DLLs which may be linked into Visual Basic modules??  Is there a User's Guide for the API??  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

John Scarpelli / CSC Corporation

6 answers

permanent link
John Scarpelli (46257) | answered Jun 29 '12, 9:43 a.m.
Thanks again Mark.  Our administrator is currently on vacation.  I'm hoping we can upgrade to v4.0 as that sounds like it may fill our reporting gaps.  In short, our goal is to produce a report (csv or Excel extract) which contains, at a minimum, the following information (if 2 reports are required, that's fine too as long as the minimal information is present):

1) Test Case Name (or ID as we refer to it...NOT the arbitrary RQM ID).
2) Test Case Description (or shortname)
3) Test Case Execution Status (Not Executed, Passed, Failed)
4) Related Requirements (i.e., traceability to ReqPro requirements by ReqPro Tag)

Here's an example of a record in the report we're hoping to come up with:

Test Case ID          Test Case Description                                     Execution Status              Requirements
05_TS_001.002     Validate system assignment of                         Passed                             IR64, IR65
                               unique DCN number for single/multiple
                               page mail documents

Regards,

John

Comments
Una Ramsay commented Sep 19 '12, 1:40 a.m.

Hi John

We are using RQM 3.0.12 and DOORs 9.3 (for reqs). I agree that it is very painful to produce what should be "fundamental" report of test case/last exec status/requirements. (We also require Build ID of last execution)

We managed to do it by using RRDI and home-grown Cognos reports. There is still a fundamental issue even with that report as the RRDI Data Warehouse only stores an internal DOORs reference ID which is meaningless without a lookup to the original DOORs requirements.....

Fingers crossed for RQM 4!

Una

permanent link
Mark Victory (26635) | answered Jun 27 '12, 1:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

The Requirements Traceability report includes the name of both the Requirement and the Test Case.  As you mentioned, it does show the RQM ID of the Test Case also but that is the ID that is visible in the RQM UI.

As to the TER Listing report, That report list Test Execution Records (Also called Test Case Execution Records).  If you have not generated those for your Test Cases then the report will be empty.  So the report is more about TERs than Test Cases but it does include Test Case information also.

I hope that helps,
Mark

permanent link
John Scarpelli (46257) | answered Jun 27 '12, 11:10 a.m.
Thank you for the prompt reply Mark.

The Requirements Traceability report only lists the "RQM" ID of the Test Case. At a minimum, we need the "Test Case ID" (or Test Case "Name") rather than an arbitrary RQM ID.  If we could get a report that had the ReqPro tag(s) associated with a given Test Case by name, that part of our problem would be solved.  With regards to the TER Report, I select everything that is possible to select, and always come up nil.  This must be a user error I'm sure, but every time I attempt to generate a listing based on various reporting parameters, I get nothing.  What I'm specifically looking for in the report as a minimum (to export to Excel) is:  Test Case ID (Name - not RQM ID), Description, and Execution Status.  Perhaps this is just ignorance on my part, but I cannot seem to produce the reports I need. What am I missing?

permanent link
Robert Rassmann (9923) | answered Jun 27 '12, 11:04 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RQM API is a web service that can be called to return feeds of resources or individual resources.  It can also be used to create/update resources.

See the documentation at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RqmApi for more information.

permanent link
Mark Victory (26635) | answered Jun 27 '12, 10:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,
     I don't have an answer for you but am curious what info you are looking for that you cannot get from the reports such as the TER Listing report and the Requirements Traceability report.

Thanks,
Mark

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8280269) | answered Jun 27 '12, 1:25 p.m.
John, 

I understand your frustration, RQM 3.x and previous was a "black hole of data" for us as well. v4.x has the ability to export to csv, which has helped us greatly.

Besides the RQMApi link provided by Robert, also try this for REST basics:

Hope you get your problems handled.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.