It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to set a default for planned for and file against based on Workitem Type?

Chris McKenna (31133) | asked Jun 26 '12, 8:00 p.m.
I have a couple of workitem types and I want to be able to have people enter those workitems, then have them default to a given timeline in planned for.  But this might vary defending which workitem type is open.  It there a way in configure the default for Planned for?  Or is there a way to use the API to do this with JavaScript? 

I would only want this to be initially set on open action for the workitem.  Once its open, the planned for/file against would be updated according if needed.

Thanks
Chris

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Pool (2644) | answered Jun 27 '12, 5:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am putting this in my follow up pile to review. But I don't understand one point "But this might vary depending on which workitem type is open." Would it be reasonable to say you want to be able to set which timeline a work item is associated with based on category? And that this should only happen when the category is changed? I don't how to do this but I want to make sure I am answering the right question before I did in to it.

permanent link
Chris McKenna (31133) | answered Jun 27 '12, 5:32 p.m.
We have Workitem type of Request, and WorkItem type of Defect for example.   If a Request gets open,  I want this to default "planned for" to a timeline I have called 'Requirements Management Timeline'.   If the request is accepted, we will move it to a given release that it will be assigned to .   Otherwise.. i don't want the person who opens the request to by mistake drop it in to a release.

Then for defect, similar but I would like to put these when first get open to have a planned for of "Defect Management Timeline'  then later assign them to a release timeline once approved.   Ideally I would just hide the planned for field when the workitems are created. 

Chris

Comments
Daniel Pool commented Jun 27 '12, 6:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I will look into if/how this can be scripted sometime soon. But in the meantime you generally would use a backlog iteration for work that you don't want to start on, but do want to record. So for your case you may want a requirements management iteration and a defect management iteration instead of separate timelines. Multiple timelines essentially allow multiple teams to work on separate projects. And it introduces additional complexity with categories. So if you don't need timelines you might want to stick with iterations.

permanent link
Chris McKenna (31133) | answered Jun 28 '12, 9:14 a.m.
Understand, but my issue still is an issue in your example.  In that I don't want someone to enter the workitem and put it on set the planned for on an iteration I don't want it to be on yet.   As for the Filed Against,  I really want to have similar default.

I have a default set of catagories.   It appears maybe you can have different one for different timelines? What do you mean by "  it introduces additional complexity with categories"

Comments
Daniel Pool commented Jun 28 '12, 11:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Categories allow you to automatically assign work items to team areas. A category is associated with a team area. This is done on a per timeline basis. So if you have multiple timelines which team area a work item is assigned to is based on category plus timeline.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.