It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Promote snapshot option has disappeared

James Clarke (21122) | asked Jun 26 '12, 5:06 a.m.
edited Oct 10 '17, 4:53 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

I have previously promoted snapshots by doing show snapshots then right clicking and selecting promote, then a target stream.

Now either I've gone completely crazy or that option has just disappeared! If I right click a snapshot in the search view there is no option to promote. The options in the context menu are:
New > , Open | Show Repository Files | Set Owner, Delete | Compare With > | Columns >

I'm using the Eclipse client:
Rational Team Concert
Version: 3.0.1.3
Build id: RTC-I20120326-1442

In the end I used the Visual Studio client to do the promote and that worked fine, so I'm not stuck but any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

James Clarke

Comments
Kevin Conway commented Feb 14 '13, 2:50 p.m. | edited Feb 14 '13, 5:13 p.m.

The documentation still refers to "Promoting or deleting snapshots" (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_scm_eclipse_snapshot_ops.html) and the internal permissions for Release Manager also reference "Promote" for work items.

For those coming from a ClearCase UCM implementation, it's really unclear how to perform an equivalent to a delivery of a baseline.  That is a practice that is often used for promotion of changes to "higher" streams in the UCM model.

Any thoughts?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 14 '13, 5:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The documentation has been fixed in 4.0:
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_scm_eclipse_snapshot_ops.html
When you say "delivery of a baseline", do you mean from one stream or workspace to another stream?   If so, just use the "deliver" operation.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Doyle (60425) | answered Jun 26 '12, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The action Promote on snapshots was confusing as it is not what is considered a promotion, all you are doing is changing the owner of the snapshot to be another stream or workspace.  This action is now Set Owner instead of Promote. Promotion is about moving source between streams.  It was renamed, so there wasn't confusion between setting the owner of a snapshot and the Promotion capabilities under the Enterprise Extensions node in the Team Artifacts view of your project area.
Geoffrey Clemm selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
James Clarke commented Jun 26 '12, 11:33 a.m.

Thanks for the quick help! Users eh... : )

One other answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jun 26 '12, 11:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The action has been renamed to Set Owner. The term promote was loaded so it was changed to mean setting owner, which is what it is really doing. It's less confusion in the end since users were sometimes thinking that it would deliver the baselines to the chosen stream.

The action is still the same.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.