It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copying workitems

Zachary K (19354239) | asked Jun 25 '12, 1:06 p.m.
edited Jun 25 '12, 1:07 p.m.
Hello,
In RTC one can copy workitems from one project to another project. Is there a way to copy workitems from one iteration to another iteration within the same project scope or do I have to write a plugin to do that?
Thank you

4 answers

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Jun 26 '12, 12:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 27 '12, 8:37 a.m.
When I want to quickly make a second work item based on an existing one, I use the Eclipe client to make an identical copy of the work item. It creates a work item that is almost identical to the first one, but of course you can assign it to a different iteration.

Copy and Move are for moving or copying to a different project area.

To copy a work item in Eclipse:

1. In Eclipse, open the work item editor for the work item.
2. Click the drop-down menu on the work item number.
3. Click "Duplicate ..." (in 4.0 it is "Create work item copy") and choose which attributes you want to duplicate when creating the new work item.

The new work item editor will open and you can modify other attributes. The two work items are linked to each other automatically.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 26 '12, 1:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that in 4.0, the Eclipse operation is "create work item copy", not "duplicate". The term "duplicate" is now reserved for making one work item a "duplicate" of another existing work item (using it to also mean "create copy" was a terminology bug).

Seth Packham commented Jun 27 '12, 8:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ah, I'm glad they made that change. I always found it confusing to have "duplicate" used for two different meanings. Thanks @gmclemm

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Oct 10 '13, 2:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is a feature in Plan Editor in Eclipse client called "Continue work in".
This will create a new work item in the specified iteration and also adjusts the estimates based on the time spent of the current work item

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 26 '12, 10:35 a.m.
Hi,

Maybe I am missing something. The iteration is set using the attribute "Planned For" you simply change the value set. You can do that in queries, in plans etc. No need to create a plugin.

Comments
Zachary K commented Jun 26 '12, 11:16 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '12, 11:30 a.m.

No, I don't want to change a work item iteration, I need to copy a workitem from sprint A to sprint B for instance within the same project. I still want to have workitem 1 in sprint A but I need a copied work item in sprint B. 

I don't think there is a way to do that in the web ui. 
Thanks,

Zachary K commented Jun 26 '12, 1:56 p.m. | edited Oct 10 '13, 2:14 a.m.

Thank you all for your help...

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 26 '12, 11:32 a.m.
edited Jun 26 '12, 12:01 p.m.

There is a "copy work item" operation in the Eclipse UI, but I do not believe there is one in the WebUI.  A not-very-good workaround is to make a copy in another project area (with the same work item type) and then "move" it back to the original project area.  A "copy work item" in the Web UI is requested in work item 88960.

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Oct 10 '13, 2:14 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,
Since 4.0.4 there is also an option to create work item copy in web ui so it no longer is a case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.