It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What should I do if VOB server hard disk space became insufficient when importing from ClearCase?

Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | asked Jun 22 '12, 8:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 22 '12, 7:31 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
context: using 3.0.1.3
I am moving from ClearCase to RTC.  When importing a VOB, VOB server hard disk space became insufficient and the import failed.
I don't know free space before import but after it was almost zero. 
The size of destination folder of the imported VOB was increased about 700 MB when importing. 
The current free space is about 500 MB.  The VOB size is about 2.7 GB.

workaround: I increased the VOB server disk size 1 GB and imported again and it's successfully completed.

My questions are:
1. While importing data from ClearCase with its history, is it ok to run scrubber to scrub cleartext so that the disk space of the VOB server would not become insufficient?
If some special parameter should be used (e.g. age) to avoid import error, please let me know the detail.

2. When importing a VOB with its history to RTC, is there any folder which will be used and need sufficient space apart from Cleartext storage pools?

3. Is there any points the user has to be aware when importing ClearCase data with its history?

One answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jun 22 '12, 8:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. The ClearCase Importer uses cleartool commands and dynamic views to access ClearCase system. In general, it is safe to use the scrubber command while other clients uses dynamic views or cleartool commands, but if cust. would like to confirm it, the question should be routed to ClearCase support.
Note that if you run the scrubber during importing, you can free up the diskspace, but it's possible that it would have a negative impact to the performance of the Importer because it may have to re-generate cleartext caches.

2. The ClearCase Importer stores all the synchronization log in "<user home directory>\ClearCaseSynchronizer" directory, and removes the log file at the end of importing after uploading it to Jazz repository as a synchronization result log. Also, since the ClearCase Importer is an Eclipse application, its logs and metatdata are stored under the same folder, although those files are not uploaded to the Jazz repository. If it is compared to the cleartext pool, the diskspace requirement is fairy small, but thought it's worth to mention.
Cust may also wonder if CC Importer loads Jazz SCM workspace to local diskspace, but we do not. The CC Importer directly interacts with Jazz repository to work with Jazz SCM system.

3. All the stuff we know of are captured in the Information Center help and https://jazz.net/library/article/50

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.