It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I Share a project to RTC source control by skipping the Repository Workspace?

Sergio Cedillo (111) | asked Jun 21 '12, 3:47 p.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 5:26 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Is it possible to share a project to RTC source control directly to the stream or should I have always to use a Repository Workspace as a mid step? Is it possible through the eclipse client? only through the SCM command line?
Suppose I am and administrator in charge of that duty task instead of a PM or a Developer. I guess there is
no reason for me to create Repository workspaces for my for every project to be shared.

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jun 22 '12, 3:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

No, it is not possible. With one exception which I will explain at the end.

as you can see in the diagram in the Jazz SCM FAQ, physical files and folders reside in a sandbox (a loaded repository workspace). The act of "check in" means tying these project files / folders to one or several change sets. This is when they get uploaded to the server. Delivering change sets from repository workspace to stream is then only pushing logical bits on the server. So whether using Eclipse, Visual Studio, scm command line or the new Windows Explorer integration, you always need to have a repository workspace to check in stuff from local disk to RTC SCM. Some UI make it easier to create / use a repository workspace than others.

The noteable exception to this is the web client. In order to facilitate sharing documents the web client allows to check in single files directly to a stream.

For the task you described, I would recommend looking into the new Windows Explorer integration. If you look through the screen shots in the usage guide, does this fit with your tasks?

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as accepted.

- Arne

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 22 '12, 6:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No matter what roles you have, there is no reason to create a new workspace for every project that you want to share ... just re-use the same workspace.  And even if you could share a project directly into a stream, I wouldn't recommend doing so.  I would recommend always doing a personal build on the imported code (or at least a quick visual inspection) before delivering it to the stream.

permanent link
Vivek Pandey (4321538) | answered Nov 12 '13, 9:17 a.m.
 Hi,

Is "Shared repository workspace" available in 4.0 ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.