It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Report and dasdhboard viewlets

Michael Baylis (1832719) | asked Aug 21 '08, 10:44 a.m.
Hi,
I now have a shiny new report that I would like made available via a viewlet on the dashboard. I can't seem to find anything obvious that tells me how to go about this? There doesn't appear to be a "generic report" viewlet.

Do I have to write a custom viewlet for this? If so, any pointers to the method?

Cheers,

Michael Baylis

4 answers

permanent link
Mike Pawlowski (6861) | answered Aug 28 '08, 10:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michael,

Currently, there is no easy way to plug in a user-defined BIRT report into one of the existing Dashboard trend report viewlets. These viewlets are configured to use custom REST services defined by the Reports team that encapsulate the underlying BIRT reporting engine.

In the next Jazz release, the Dashboard team is planning to make a generic trend report viewlet that allows developers to plug-in new trend reports (rptdesign files) via contributed plug-in manifest XML mark-up without specifying code (JavaScript).

For the 1.0 release, follow these steps to add your new BIRT report to the Dashboard:

(1) Create and deploy a new report:
=> https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsCreatingANewReport
(2) Write a custom viewlet
=> Extend the following viewlet:
com.ibm.team.dashboard.viewlets.web.ui.internal.TrendReportViewlet
=> See the following viewlet as an example:
com.ibm.team.dashboard.viewlets.web.ui.internal.TrendReportScrumViewlet
=> Important Note: Code extending Dashboard related JavaScript will likely be broken
in the next Jazz release as none of it is intended to be API

Thanks,

Mike

permanent link
Michael Baylis (1832719) | answered Aug 28 '08, 10:56 a.m.
Brilliant, thank you Mike.

I don't mind updating the code for each release as it is only small bits!

permanent link
K Shymanski (263) | answered Dec 09 '08, 6:47 p.m.
Is there any update for this functionality in 1.0.1? We're also looking to implement a BIRT report into a viewlet. Reading through the post it sounds like there may be a 'generic trend report viewlet' present in 1.0.1. If not, any details on implementing for 1.0.1?

Thanks

permanent link
Mike Pawlowski (6861) | answered Dec 10 '08, 11:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unfortunately, the work is targeted for the RTC 2.0 release.
Due to the major overhaul required for this type of enhancement, it didn't qualify for the 1.0.1 point release.

Please feel free to subscribe yourself to the following work item to track progress and add any insight / requirements:
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/51103

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.