It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create query on WI's with results ordered by Ranked Lists

Lionel Li (23111216) | asked Jun 19 '12, 3:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We all know that the work items can be viewed as Ranked List in the plan. The rank is assigned by the business user.
Some people would like to have a query displaying the items, with the results ordered by the ranked list.

One answer

permanent link
Lionel Li (23111216) | answered Jun 19 '12, 3:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was questioned that if there is any way of doing it. Here is what I found from some search:

defect WI: If I run a query to show all the stories across a team, it doesn’t show the ranking value just the identifier. (159312)

being marked as duplicated as story: As a user I want to be able to define an integer-type attribute as ranking attribute (141457)

In wi 159312:
comment4:
"The scenario you are describing isn't supported as our ranking only makes sense in a context (such as a plan). Internally, we don't have a rank number, but know when looking at two items which is ranked higher."

comment8:
"It will allow you to define an integer based attribute as ranking attribute. Currently only enumerations are possible (e.g. priority). The actual ranking is always relative to that ranking attribute, so in theory you can already see the high level ranking as of today (e.g. high, medium, low). Story 141457 will enable user to rank relative to an integer. That means users assign an int value to stories in order to rank them. The sequence value based ranking (by which can be sorted) then happens when two items have the same number (similar to today when two items are 'medium').
So wrt to comment 6 I do think that this work item is a duplicate of work item 141457 as it will enable you to see the rank of a work item in the query result. The internal sequence value (by which user can sort) will never be shown in the ui because it isn't human readable."

Also the comment4 in story 141457 explained how ranking is related to priority in detail.
I personally tried it, and the values shown in the "Rank(relative to priority)" is something like "priority.literal.l01 O00000", which is not human readable.

Therefore, I don't think there is a way of making such a query as it wasn't designed to be used in this way.

other related posts:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/42747/exporting-a-ranked-list-plan
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/48795/how-can-i-create-a-query-of-my-backlog-in-ranked-order

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.