It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What if I add two JBE build engines into one build definition?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Jun 14 '12, 11:33 a.m.
retagged Jun 14 '12, 7:03 p.m. by David Olsen (5237)
Hi

I have a Maven build definition. While I am moving the JBE build engine from one server to another, I am thinking what will happen if I have two build engines in the same build definition. Will it go to another one if one is offline?

The document says BuildForge supports multiple engines, how about JBE?

Thanks
Jirong

One answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jun 14 '12, 7:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
A single build definition can be supported by multiple build engines.  And a single build engine can support multiple build definitions.  If you like, you can set up a pool of build machines where the JBE on each machine can run a bunch of different build definitions, and when you request a build it will pick one of the available JBEs.  If you buds are designed to support it and if your hardware is powerful enough, you can run multiple JBEs on a single machine, so that machine can run several builds at once.  (This is how the builds of RTC are set up.)

One thing to watch out for:  You should define a separate build engine in RTC for each JBE process that you plan to run.  In other words, each running JBE process should have a different value for its "-engineId" argument.  If you run several JBE processes at the same time with the same -engineId argument, things will mostly work, but you will run into quirks and subtle problems from time to time.  (I'm sorry, I can't remember exactly what the problems are.)

To answer your specific question:
>> what will happen if I have two build engines in the same build definition. Will it go to another one if one is offline?

Yes.  If two different build engines are associated with the same build definition, then when you request a build RTC will pick one of the JBEs at random.  If one of the JBEs is off line or is already busy running a build, the build will automatically run on the other JBE.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.