It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC: Versioning artifacts

Eric Cotton (4134) | asked Jun 13 '12, 9:02 a.m.
There's previously been discussion in the forum about about versioning RRC artifacts, but nothing very current.  With the introduction of RRC 4.0 I'd hoped the situation would have improved, but that does not seem to be the case - unless there's something I've missed.  Here's a couple features I'd really like to see:

* The ability to link to any version of an artifact.  I'd really like, for example, to be able to create a collection that includes (links to) specific versions of artifacts.

* Snapshots of collections:  Will this ever return?

I know versioning is being seriously considered by IBM with consideration to the Jazz platform in general.  But until such time as a new solution is available, I'd like to reintroduce discussion of how others are dealing with versioning, especially WRT multiple projects sharing artifacts.

Thanks,
Eric

Comments
Rosa Naranjo commented Jun 13 '12, 2:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Eric, have you entered an enhancement request? We did have a Jazz Plan Jam recently but it is currently only open for voting on ideas submitted: https://jazz.ideajam.net Try searching to see if someone already submitted the above as an idea and then vote on it.

2 answers

permanent link
Jared Pulham (32113) | answered Jun 14 '12, 7:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 14 '12, 7:03 a.m.

Eric,

In the release of RRC 4.0 we have not provided any new additional capabilities for working with versions and variants. It was never in our RRC 2012 release plan (as posted here on jazz.net). We had many other high priority features that we were focusing on as you’ll see in our “What’s New” or “New and Noteworthy” documents.

However as you've already hinted this is an area of great interest for our RM RRC team as well as the broader CLM team. If you look at our current plan backlog you'll see that we recognize this as a strategic focus for a future RRC release and we hope to start sharing more in the near future on our plans for further support.

As for today in RRC 4.0 you will need to support version and variant development models using manual methods with links and attributes.

There are actually several ways that some customers have approached supporting variants (beyond baselines or attributes with links) but in all cases it will require some level of manual effort and management. You could perhaps investigate using the requirements embed capability that we have since RRC 3.x or manage parallel requirements in multiple collections (then branch/copy and link them when you want a separate stream).

Jared Pulham
Product Manager, Jazz Requirements Management Tools

Comments
Stephen Toop commented Mar 13 '13, 9:56 a.m.

Jared,
We are trying to manage versions in RRC also.
In your last paragraph you state "There are actually several ways that some customers have approached supporting variants (beyond baselines or attributes with links) but in all cases it will require some level of manual effort and management. You could perhaps investigate using the requirements embed capability that we have since RRC 3.x or manage parallel requirements in multiple collections (then branch/copy and link them when you want a separate stream)."

Do you have any information on the collection method you suggest above? As far as I can tell in RRC 4.0.1 a collection is always displaying the latest version of an artefact even if it has changed in another collection.

Thanks
Stephen Toop

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jun 13 '12, 3:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Eric,

One way to link to any version of an RRC artifact, is to first open that specific revision in the artifact history, and copy the URL from the browser address bar.  You will notice it has a #revision extension.

This URL can then be pasted into other RRC artifacts, e-mail, instance messages or even in the description of a work item or test case as a hyperlink.

Comments
Mattias Gustafsson commented Jun 14 '12, 5:26 a.m. | edited Jun 14 '12, 6:31 a.m.

Thanks for that information Robin!

Although that is a serious work around, it's good to know! If you have an attribute defined to indicate version numbering (or revision) this could satisfy a small part of the need to be able to link to older versions of an artifact.

Mattias Gustafsson commented Jun 14 '12, 5:32 a.m. | edited Jun 14 '12, 6:32 a.m.

Robin Bater commented Jul 18 '12, 4:16 p.m. | edited Jul 18 '12, 4:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

FYI: in the RM Backlog

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.apt.viewPlan&page=com.ibm.team.apt.web.ui.plannedItems&id=_UA74kKw4EeG4nO8CTXNgNQ&planMode=com.ibm.team.apt.viewmodes.internal.backlog2

you will see the following that might be of interest:

[DOORS Next] Requirements versions and configurations utilizing VVC [CLM] [DOORS Next] Artifact Sharing, Potentially Controlled Reuse, Across Modules (VVC) [RM] Data Comparison (Merge)

VVC - Versions, Variants and Configurations - is work that is just starting and will evolve in future releases.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.