It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Who is responsible for auto-resolve? RTC or Eclipse?

Fausto Lemos (16811518) | asked Jun 12 '12, 7:07 p.m.
At this post users reports that RTC don't auto resolve a simple merge of adjacent lines.. but if we make changes at line 1 and line 3 then it's ok for him...

question 1:

Who is responsible for trying to auto-resolve the conflict? RTC or Eclipse? This is such a simple case and must scm tools resolve this easily...

question 2:

what is the default behavior of RTC in cases that a file have a lot of non-conflicting changes and one conflicting change and we say to RTC to auto resolve? He resolves all non-conflicting and just shows me what he didn't know how to resolve or he "abort" all process?

tks!

4 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 13 '12, 8:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 16 '12, 8:18 p.m.

I believe that the default Eclipse merge tool is used to detect whether a conflict can be auto-resolved, and to perform the auto-resolve, but we should get confirmation from the RTC SCM team.
I'm reasonably confident that if anything in the file cannot be auto-resolved, then no change is made to the file by an "auto-resolve" request, but instead, the non-conflicting changes have to be explicitly requested after the manual merge tool has been invoked.

Note: I've submitted work item 227322 ( https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/227322 ), requesting that the user be able to specify the tool to be used to check for and perform auto-resolve.

Comments
Michael Valenta commented Jun 13 '12, 8:53 a.m. | edited Aug 16 '12, 8:08 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As Geoff indicated, the auto-resolve is performed using capabilities provided by Eclipse and any one conflict in the file will prevent auto-resolve from proceeding.

Mirco Hering commented Aug 10 '12, 7:19 a.m. | edited Aug 16 '12, 8:19 p.m.

Hi guys,

I am after the same functionality. I want to use a different merge tool for my auto-resolve to ignore certain sections of code. Unfortunately i cannot see work item 227322.

Could someone please point me in the right direction here?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 16 '12, 8:19 p.m.

I've updated my answer to include a URL to 227322. Let me know if you have trouble with that URL.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 13 '12, 5:05 a.m.
Mirco,

RTC supports to enable using a different merge tool. This can be done in Window>Preferences>Team>Jazz Source Control>External Compare Tools.

Comments
Mirco Hering commented Aug 13 '12, 5:08 a.m. | edited Aug 16 '12, 8:20 p.m.

Thanks Ralph, but i think the automerge functionality works outside of the defined external merge tool from what i understand.

My goal here is to use functionality that comes with my third-party tool that allows me to ignore unimportant differences, but i cannot teach RTC to do the same during auto-resolve.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 13 '12, 5:19 a.m. | edited Aug 13 '12, 5:19 a.m.

Have you tried to configure your tool as merge tool? However, you might be right about the detection mechanism. I know that other users use Beyond compare because they like the handlng better. I haven't used it myself though.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 16 '12, 8:22 p.m.

RTC lets you specify another tool to be used for manual merging, but it does not let you specify another tool for auto-resolve or automated merging.

Joan Reyes commented Aug 08 '13, 1:45 p.m.

Ralph -  You mention above something about configuring the tool as a merge tool?  what do you mean by this?  Our developers are having issues with the merging and auto resolve of conflicts as well.  We are just about to update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.3 - are there any enhancements to the merge tool with this update.

Thanks,
Joan

Tim Mok commented Aug 08 '13, 2:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You should look at the preferences (Team > Jazz Source Control > External Compare Tools) to set an external compare tool.

There aren't any notable enhancements when updating from 4.0.1 to 4.0.3. I think there may have been a bug in Change Summary that was fixed where the external compare tool wasn't being used with the view. Otherwise, any changes in merging would come from the Eclipse version being used. I think both 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 shipped on Eclipse 3.6 but you can install them into a different version of Eclipse if you wish.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 08 '13, 2:50 p.m.

Note: RTC 4.0.3 shipped with both Eclipse 3.6 and Eclipse 4.2 (both variants available from Install Manager).

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Aug 13 '12, 9:17 a.m.
Mirco,

RTC does not support the use of a third party tool for performing auto-resolve. If this is something you think would be useful, you should open an enhancement request.

Michael

Comments
Mirco Hering commented Aug 13 '12, 4:38 p.m. | edited Aug 16 '12, 8:25 p.m.

What happened to work item 214697 mentioned by Geoffrey above? I definitely think this would be a good enhancement, especially if you work in the packaged software space where a lot of system generated code is stored that can produce false positives in the auto-resolve process in RTC.

If someone points me to where i can raise the request i will raise it.

Michael Valenta commented Aug 14 '12, 9:12 a.m. | edited Aug 16 '12, 8:26 p.m.

Work item 214697 is in the queue of items to be investigated when time permits but, to be honest, is behind several higher priority issues.

If you have a jazz.net account, you can create an enhancement request using the following URL:

https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem&type=enhancement

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 16 '12, 8:31 p.m.

To clarify, originally 214697 was a request to allow the user to specify the tool to be used for auto-merging. That request was changed (not by me :-) to be a request to improve the auto-merging behavior of the built-in auto-merge tool. So I've re-created the original request, now as work item 227322, to allow the user to specify the tool to be used for auto-merging. So if you are interested in this functionality, please add a comment to 227322, indicating your support.

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Feb 12 '14, 1:46 a.m.
edited Feb 12 '14, 1:47 a.m.
As this part is still open, I created an RFE for the problem "Allow the user to specify the tool to be used to perform auto-resolve".
Feel free to vote it:
RFE ID 44947 - Allow the user to specify the tool to be used to perform auto-resolve

Hope this helps,
Simon

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.