It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does RTC WebUI manages memory. and is there a method to clean up memory usage on IE 7 or 8

Philippe Chevalier (56114) | asked Jun 11 '12, 5:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Use case one:

Create work item and monitor memory usage.   After each save event, the memory usage for IE 8 in my case grows, by an average 30 to 40 MB.   This situation never gets rectified,  I my case it is not a problem.  My machine is a 64 bit machine and I have 8 GB of ram.

Use case Two:

Run a query over an over again, and the memory keeps climbing with out ever going back down.

In the case of 32 bit operating system with a limited memory size, particularly the 32bit addressible memory that will limit the growth of the memory foot print and affect the WebUI performance.

Any insights or recommendation on reducing the memory without having to shut down the browser session would be appreciated.  

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 12 '12, 4:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Philippe,

I would consider creating a work item against RTC. This should be looked at. I remember we had memory leakage issues with IE in the past that were related to a long known issue with one of the IE components. Maybe this is a different issue.

permanent link
Daniel Pool (2644) | answered Jun 13 '12, 2:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Philippe,
I have been doing some testing on memory usage in IE 9 with RTC 4.0 and RTC 3.0.1. I see slow increases in memory usage as various operations are performed. I will enter work items to cover cases where we can make improvements. But I am not seeing the memory usage grow so dramatically when creating work items. A 30 Meg chunk of memory to create a work item every seems excessive.If you send me more information about the work items you are creating I will see if I can reproduce the issue. I also did a little testing with Firefox 10. The memory usage in Firefox seems to be far steadier than in IE. So if possible you could try running in Firefox and see if that addresses the problems you are having.
Daniel.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.