It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Asset Performance Problem - "Connecting" Message

Dan Duce (2534645) | asked Jun 06 '12, 6:22 a.m.
We've seen performance issues with RAM 7.5.1 when accessing assets from the Search results screen.

When assets are slow to load, I notice that the browser shows a "Connecting" message as the activity icon spins.   I was wondering if you could provide me with a description of what is actually happening when that "Connecting" message is showing?

I'm already logged in at that point and have an active web session. 

Once the "Connecting" message goes away, the asset seems to load quickly.   I want to troubleshoot further to see if there is a proxy, WAS or maybe even LDAP authentication problem that is response for the delay, but need more information as to what is occurring when that message is displayed.

Can you tell me what I should be looking at?  Possibly some kind of server priority settings?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered Jun 12 '12, 6:28 a.m.
Hi Rich,

I just wanted to provide an update.  The problem I described above disappeared in RAM 7.5.1.1.  We couldn't replicate it in either our 7.5.1.1 test environment or our upgraded 7.5.1.1 production environment.   We originally ran into it in our production environment when it was running 7.5.1.  We upgraded over the weekend and the problem is gone.

Cheers......Dan
Rich Kulp selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rich Kulp commented Jun 12 '12, 9:39 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That's great. We love it when customers upgrade and the problem goes away. :-)

3 other answers

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jun 06 '12, 3:11 p.m.
Are you using copy/paste from Microsoft(R) Word? They include a bunch of inner javascript stuff which doesn't affect the display but slows the browser down processing the incoming description for display.

Comments
Dan Duce commented Jun 07 '12, 7:19 a.m.

Hi Rich, We initially did testing from Word but realized that it was copying in some really messy html and javascript, so we switched and did testing with content copied from Symphony and CKEditor which proved to be much cleaner. So, I think we've eliminated that source of problems.

The observerd behavior is with any asset that we tested, including ones where the content was created natively in RAM using the built in RTE.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered Jun 06 '12, 2:26 p.m.
I tried Firebug but it wasn't exactly clear what was happening.

Is there any difference in how RAM stores artifacts versus content in a Description field?

Testing we've done with editing a singular asset several times in a row, results in the performance degrading for that asset.  It is most noticeable for large assets but it can be see in small ones as well.

With an asset that had 23K worth of text in the Description field, we retrieval times climb from 5 seconds to 30 seconds after the asset was edited and save 5 separate times.

On small assets the time climbed from 3 seconds to 6 seconds.  Trying to figure out what that is occurring.

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jun 06 '12, 10:29 a.m.
Connecting means the browser is trying to connect to a URL of an imbedded something. It may be a javascript, it may be an image. Don't know what. It all depends.

If you are in Firefox you can get the Firebug add on and turn it on. Then you can do Net tracing and it will tell you what URL is taking a long time. It may simply be you are trying to bring down a large image. Or your asset has some foreign link in it to some other server that is taking time to respond.

Rich

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.