It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI burnup chart with a projected trend line through next several months?

Kris Rovell-Rixx (36168) | asked Jun 05 '12, 6:35 p.m.
edited Jun 06 '12, 2:29 p.m. by Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16)

I'm looking for a way to create a burnup chart with a projected, future, trend line in RRDI and I don't know how to approach the projected part of the line. How do you create a line from data that doesn't come from the DW? Is it possible to create a line chart where the left part of a line is comes from querying the DW and the right part of the line is calculated from a formula? The right part of the line needs to extend based on the average slope of the left part of the line, or perhaps based on just the last two points from  the DW. The line needs to extend into the future, say six months. It's somewhat similar to a baseline, except baselines have to be either vertical or horizontal. The current date should be in the center of the x-axis, and all the dates to the right would be in the future. All the y-values to the *right* would be calculated from the formula. All the y-values to the *left* would be calculated from data the DW.

We hope to do trend lines with other values as well.

Thanks,

Kris

One answer

permanent link
xuening liu (36) | answered Jun 13 '12, 10:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kris,

After looking through your question, I think I understand what you want, haven't got an easy way to do this.

While, could you please try the following way? Take an example, if you have calculated the total defect backlog number for Jan, Feb and March, and then you have the left part of the chart, x axis is month, the y axis is total defect backlog for the month. Now, you need to draw the right part, to show the defect backlog for April and May.

How about add one more job in ETL part, use April and May, query the data warehouse data as the input, the calculate the y by the formula you designed. Here, you can use SQL to do the calculation, then insert the calculated data into a table. And then import it to FM. And then query the data and union the data with the previous left part, to draw the chart.

I'm not sure this is the one you really want. But I think it's not easy to finish all in report studio side. Thanks.

Comments
Kris Rovell-Rixx commented Jun 26 '12, 4:12 p.m.

Hi Xuening,

I'm sorry for taking so long to thank you for your response. I thought I was subscribed, and I wasn't, so I didn't see your response until today.

You confirmed that it's not easy to do this inside RRDI. We're going to try to extract the data and create the report outside of RRDI. We're graphing, then trending several pieces of data and I think a solution outside of RRDI will be more flexible.

Thanks again,

Kris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.