It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Offline behaviour when starting disconnected

Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | asked Aug 14 '08, 3:37 p.m.
When I disconnect from a repository by logging-out, my repository workspace shows as "offline" in the pending changes view. Changes I make while offline appear nicely in the pending changes view as "unresolved".

However when I now exit eclipse and start again (with auto-login disabled), the workspace is no longer marked "offline", but the workspace components are marked "unreachable" and no pending changes are shown anymore.

Is this the expected behaviour ?

thanks

Daan.

3 answers

permanent link
Christophe Cornu (47123) | answered Aug 14 '08, 4:36 p.m.
Hi Daan,

Yes, this is the current expected behaviour. We don't show local changes or any synchronization data for a workspace that has not been logged in in the current session. In this mode you can unload the workspace or login.

On the other hand if your wireless connection is having trouble and you balance between 'online'/'offline' modes, the pending changes view keeps showing the last synchronization data it obtained along with the current local changes. It gives you a chance to stay in context and quickly check-in your local changes next time you get your connection live again :-) The tooltip in the component node shows when the sync data was last obtained (last refreshed property).

Chrix

permanent link
Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | answered Aug 15 '08, 2:03 p.m.
Ok, thanks Chrix,

Are there any plans to change this to also show local changes in the pending changes view when you are offline for a longer period of time ? (apparently you do keep some sort of change tracking on offline workspaces).

This would be helpful in a usecase where the team-repo-server is on a secured company network that is not available from the internet, to allow engineers working outside the office visibility of their local changes.

Thanks

Daan.

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Aug 16 '08, 9:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We also have to consider what happens when we show the local changes. What will users want to do with them? If users expect to click on them to see a diff when disconnected we will have to store the state of each file before it's modified.

We've talked about this several times, our current idea is to support completely distributed workspaces so that you can check-in/history when offlines from the main repo and allow cross repository deliveries. This seems to be the real solution to the offline use-case.

I don't have a timeline yet, but it's something we are seriously exploring now.

Jean-Michel
Jazz Source Control Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.