It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent a user changing his personal dashboard?

Michael Leithner (1131910) | asked May 08 '12, 8:53 a.m.
Hello out there :D

We use RTC 3.0.1 and defined a personal dashboard for each user.
But we don't want the team members to change and save this configured dashboards?

How can i manage this?

for example,
i had a user for in 3 different projects (scrum), in a team, with the role of a team member.

So i set the permissions for teammembers "Dashboards - save personal dashboard and save Projectdashboard" to false.

But i log in with this user, i can edit his personal dashboard and save it.
This should not supposed to be,
how is this happen?

4 answers

permanent link
Michael Leithner (1131910) | answered May 08 '12, 6:03 p.m.

wow :-o

i am really impressed about your support!!!
That late night, and you also created a work item for my requrement :-o
That's just awesome! ^^

I guess we haven't seen this requirement yet because most administrators don't mind much if users create their own dashboards, since only they can see them by default.

hm... that may be true, but we want to assure that our partner DEFINITELY see their current work and have no excuse if it's not getting done :D
... that's the plan xD

I have tried to set this restrictions in the project dashboard,
means configuring workitem widgets and queries for the current user in the current project,
but than i give it up.... because it doesn't "feel right" xD

But theoretically, what we want is possible over the team dashboard... hm, maybe i will mention this tomorrow.

Thanks for your great help and support,
and best regards
- the incredible Leitman

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered May 08 '12, 5:42 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for explaining. I've created a work item to track this new requirement: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/210940 and subscribed you.

Note however that project and team dashboards can have their permissions controlled by the process. It's only the personal dashboards that aren't covered - I guess we haven't seen this requirement yet because most administrators don't mind much if users create their own dashboards, since only they can see them by default.

permanent link
Michael Leithner (1131910) | answered May 08 '12, 5:12 p.m.
... But I'm curious about your use case - can you tell me more?

Hey curtispd :)

And thanks for your fast reply :)

I am really sorry, but english is not my mother tongue,
but i will try to explain mor about our situation :)

In our company we deliver software for our partners, who produce the hardware.
So we set up some projects with two teams (our company and our partners).

To benefit from all the collaboration management system,
we musst ensure that the members of our partner use the system with us together.
So we set up the personal and team dashboards, the workflow, iterations and release planing,
an our partners just use it in our configured way
(don't ask me, i am just a developer who should integrate and administrate the whole system xD the decision was made in the management :oops: )

But my target was to prevent our partners to edit/delete our set up for all processes, which also contains the visible widgets in the dashboards.

To define the "roles" of our partner, i musst explain the following:
Their teammembers can submit workitems (for example bugs reported by customers)
and should test our software on their product (in our workflow the action from state "implemented" to "proved"

I hope i could explain what we (our management ^^) want to do.

Thanks again for you answer

best regards
- the incredible Leitman

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered May 08 '12, 4:00 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

The "Save Personal Dashboard" permission is a relic from the past when we had project-scoped personal dashboards, but now personal dashboards live outside projects so that they can be cross-project and cross-application. I have a work item to clean this up: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/178462, but you can ignore it for now (it doesn't do anything).

The only ways to prevent a user from managing their own dashboard at the moment are:
1) Revoke JazzUsers/JazzAdmins repository roles and only give them JazzGuest.
2) Revoke their user licenses.

Unfortunately this means they won't be able to do much else on the server. There's no easy way to single out just dashboards like this. But I'm curious about your use case - can you tell me more?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.