It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permission on modifying Enumerations

John S F Lander (901941) | asked May 04 '12, 6:37 a.m.
Trying to lock down a Process template to stop PAs to fundamentally change Process and workflows but would want them to be able to amend their enumerations.
Seems to me that this is set in the Project Configuration -Process - Modify the process specification setting to a Role
so either all or nothing on this functionality.
Have I misundestood or missed something here.

Any pointers would be welcomed.

Thanks

john

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 05 '12, 6:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can create a process template from a project using the Eclipse Client (right click on a project in the Team Artifats view). You can export this and create new project areas from it.

You can use process sharing in RTC to enforce a common process. You can evolve a process and provide a new project area that shares the process. You can limit what users can customize. E.g. you can prohibit to overwrite the work item area. All or nothing. However, it will reduce the administration effort.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 05 '12, 12:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can export a process template in the Web UI, but I don't know of any way in the Web UI to create a process template from a project area. At least, if there is a way, I couldn't find it in the documentation or by looking at the Web UI.

Cheers,
Geoff

Trying to lock down a Process template to stop PAs to fundamentally change Process and workflows but would want them to be able to amend their enumerations.
Seems to me that this is set in the Project Configuration -Process - Modify the process specification setting to a Role

Thanks

john

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 04 '12, 9:39 a.m.
currently RTC doesn't provide a layered admin model. its all or nothing..

and if you used master slave (sharing a parent process) IF a change is made to the child process area, it becomes a separated COPY from the parent. Thus future changes to the parent are no longer reflected in the child.

we have to setup an central admin team to do the maint of these child project areas where there is local data admin required.. but where we can't allow the team to modify the corp processes.

This is a known requirement, see this topic
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13697

permanent link
John S F Lander (901941) | answered May 04 '12, 8:27 a.m.
Thanks, but we want to create a template to push out to many new Project Areas, this will cover thousands of users, so want the PAs themselves to manage their own enumerations as each PA only want to see what is valid for them and would find this becomes too much of an overhead for the central admins.

John

Its better to have admins do all the process modifications - including enumeration-value additions, etc. As all the process modifications are carried out in a single view and affect the source.

Thanks.

Thanks

john

permanent link
VK L (8177154159) | answered May 04 '12, 7:30 a.m.
Its better to have admins do all the process modifications - including enumeration-value additions, etc. As all the process modifications are carried out in a single view and affect the source.

Thanks.

Thanks

john

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.