It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Calculated value or query from parent?

Richard Segal (111) | asked Apr 17 '12, 9:01 p.m.
I have work items arranged into a hierarchy using parent/child links. I would like to display information from the parent work item in the editor for the child. For example, consider two work items:

Type: ParentWI

id: 1
Summary: Big Task
Due Date: 5/1/2012

Type: ChildWI
id: 2
Summary: Sub Task

I would like to have the editor for ChildWI display the due date from the parent work item. I looked at implementing the above using "Script Based Calculated Values" but it appears that there is no easy way to access the children of a work item from within the script. Can this be done in a calculated value script? Is there another alternative? Suggestions?

Similarly, I would like to have the results of a query for all ChildWIs display the parent's due date in the results. If I can get the calculated value working then this becomes easy. If not, is there another way to get the parent's due date to be displayed in a query's results?

- Rich

One answer

permanent link
Paul Wellman (71119) | answered May 07 '12, 3:39 p.m.
Hi Rich,
By any chance were you able to figure this out? I am looking for a similar solution.

Thanks.
Paul

I have work items arranged into a hierarchy using parent/child links. I would like to display information from the parent work item in the editor for the child. For example, consider two work items:

Type: ParentWI

id: 1
Summary: Big Task
Due Date: 5/1/2012

Type: ChildWI
id: 2
Summary: Sub Task

I would like to have the editor for ChildWI display the due date from the parent work item. I looked at implementing the above using "Script Based Calculated Values" but it appears that there is no easy way to access the children of a work item from within the script. Can this be done in a calculated value script? Is there another alternative? Suggestions?

Similarly, I would like to have the results of a query for all ChildWIs display the parent's due date in the results. If I can get the calculated value working then this becomes easy. If not, is there another way to get the parent's due date to be displayed in a query's results?

- Rich

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.