It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Operation id for a specific workitem save action

Karthikeyan Elangovan (3644) | asked Mar 27 '12, 11:05 a.m.
Hi All,
I have a requirement to trigger a server side plugin (say Follow up action) when Save operation is performed in a workitem of specific type and not for all workitem save operations

As of now, I have used the common workitem save operation id: "com.ibm.team.workitem.operation.workItemSave" which triggers my plugin when save action is performed in any workitems but I need that to be triggered only when a particular workitem is saved.

Is it possible to limit the trigger to happen only for a specific workitem save operation? or Is there any operation id available for any specific workitem save operation?

Please drop your comments ASAP

Thanks in Advance

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 28 '12, 4:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The way Sam describes it is, as far as i know, the way it is supposed to be done. Please read the Extensions Workshop, it describes that the plugin should try to identify if it needs to do more work as quick as possible and just stop if there is nothing to do. It is way easier for the extension to decide than trying to provide special capabilities in the extension point provider.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 27 '12, 11:50 a.m.
The workitem Save operation event is fired for every workitem save.

the chain of participants/advisors is called on that single event.

why can't your code filter out all the other changes it doesn't care about?

for example, I have an advisor that is only interested in saves where dependant workitems are not resolved.

if any other save event occurrs, my code is called, but doesn't do anything (well, it checks for the condition and exits without any errors)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.