It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need to "Fix Up" Data in Existing Work Items

Michael Whitner (5611010) | asked Mar 22 '12, 9:28 a.m.
I have created a new process template which heavily customizes the Defect Work Item type. I have created a master project using the new process template and enabled it to allow other processes to share its process. I have an existing project which I changed to inherit its process from the newly created master project. Everything seems to be working just fine.

However, I have 900+ existing Defect Work Items that need to have values populated in the new custom attributes and values changed for existing attributes whose underlying enumerations have been given new values. Exporting the work items and importing them using a custom mapping file is not an option.

Can anyone please provide me with some guidance on how to perform the "fix up" of my existing Defect Work Item data?

Thank you,
Mike Whitner

5 answers

permanent link
Michael Whitner (5611010) | answered Mar 23 '12, 3:30 p.m.
Hi,
in RTC client you have to run a query in order to catch all the workitem you want to syncronize. Then select them and do a right click with mouse on the icon column. You will find an "Syncronize Attributes" option.

IMHO it is a very difficult way to find this option, but it works fine.

Best Regards,
Michele.

Michele,

Thank you very much for your response! I found the option that you describe and concur that it's difficult (near impossible) to locate. Too many different context menus.

Here's my synopsis of the behavior I'm seeing in the eclipse client.

Before I do any synchronization when I open and existing Defect Work Item I see that there is a "Custom" tab automatically created (by eclipse I assume) in the Work Item Editor which contains all of the new ("unsynchronized") attributes. All of the attributes with underlying enumerations displayed in the "Custom" are flagged with "The selected value is not applicable" and I cannot select a value. Existing attributes that have underlying enumerations whose values have been changed contain something like "severity.literal.l12" (old enumeration value) instead of a value like "S1 - Production Down" (new enumeration value). However, these attributes are not flagged with "The selected value is not applicable" and I can change them manually.

When I attempt to select a record and perform the "Synchronize Attributes" command I have failures because newly added mandatory attributes don't have values. Fortunately they are attributes that I can change manually (not sure if I want to do that for ~960 Defect Work Items though). After I have manually set those mandatory attributes I can successfully "Synchronize Attributes" for that Work Item. All of my attributes now appear in the places where they are intended to appear in the Work Item Editor and are not flagged but, they also still appear in that "Custom" tab as they did before I performed the synchronize. If I enter a value for a new attribute then it is no longer displayed in the "Custom" tab. Neat huh?

I think I will be forced to write some type of java program using one of the available APIs (most likely the Pure Java Client) to manipulate at minimum the mandatory elements. I know the APIs exist but, really have no idea if they can do what I just described.

Did I mention that I'm a complete newbie to the world of RTC?

I want to thank you for your direction and most importantly enlightening me that any given record/entry selected from a list with several columns could have a different context menu for each column. I don't think I would have ever thought about that scenario.

Mike Whitner

Michele,

Scratch everything I replied with above. I am working in a test RTC instance where I exported work items using the web UI from one project and imported them into a project in my test instance. Turns out that the web UI only exports a specific set of fields and I couldn't find anywhere to expand that set.

Did I mention that I'm an absolute newbie at RTC?

I then went to the eclipse client to perform the export and voil! I could select any fields to export that my heart desired. I exported all the relevant fields (although I couldn't find discussion but, that shouldn't matter since I'll be doing this in place on the production system - scary) and imported them into the project on the test server and those pesky fields that I talked about earlier magically had data in them. I did a test "Synchronize Attributes" on a single work item and no errors were returned. I then selected all of the remaining work items and performed the "Synchronize Attributes" and after several minutes they were all beautiful!

If you are still seeing this thread, THANK YOU!!!!
Mike Whitner

permanent link
Michael Whitner (5611010) | answered Mar 23 '12, 10:50 a.m.
One thing to be aware of..

the query editor will only return 1000 workitems at a time.
so if u have more than that, you will have to execute multiple queries to get the list of workitems you need to synchronize the attributes against. that means u have to construct the query to exclude the workitems which have been fixed already.. not so much fun.

sure would be nice to have RTC do this under the covers for the administrator. we expect we will have to do this for the next year as we migrate our staff and projects over to rtc.. we are attempting to run a single process model and attribute setup for all the projects.

Sam,

Thank you for your response and heads up about this. I am however aware of this issue and there is a setting that can be changed on the server to allow more than the default 1000 Work Items to be returned by a query. You must have JazzAdmin role to perform this change. You may already be aware of this but, I'll go ahead and try to give a little back to this forum just in case it is news to you/anyone.

Using the WebUI go to "Jazz Team Server Home" and select the "Application" link under "Change and Configuration Management(/ccm)." On the "Application Administration - Change and Configuration Management (/ccm)" page select "Advanced Properties" and wait for the properties to finish loading. At the bottom of the list of advanced properties is a "WorkItem Queries" section that contains 3 parameters (at least on my server). I have changed the "Maximum Query Result Set Size" property to 5000 (plenty large enough in my case) and increased the "Maximum Query Time"property from 300 to 600. These are relative to my needs and if you chose to modify yours you may very well require different values.

Once again, thank you taking the time to respond to my initial posting.

Thank you,
Mike Whitner

permanent link
Michael Whitner (5611010) | answered Mar 23 '12, 10:12 a.m.
Hi,
in RTC client you have to run a query in order to catch all the workitem you want to syncronize. Then select them and do a right click with mouse on the icon column. You will find an "Syncronize Attributes" option.

Best Regards,
Michele.

Michele,

Thank you very much for your response! I found the option that you describe and concur that it's difficult (near impossible) to locate. Too many different context menus.

Here's my synopsis of the behavior I'm seeing in the eclipse client.

Before I do any synchronization when I open and existing Defect Work Item I see that there is a "Custom" tab automatically created (by eclipse I assume) in the Work Item Editor which contains all of the new ("unsynchronized") attributes. All of the attributes with underlying enumerations displayed in the "Custom" are flagged with "The selected value is not applicable" and I cannot select a value. Existing attributes that have underlying enumerations whose values have been changed contain something like "severity.literal.l12" (old enumeration value) instead of a value like "S1 - Production Down" (new enumeration value). However, these attributes are not flagged with "The selected value is not applicable" and I can change them manually.

When I attempt to select a record and perform the "Synchronize Attributes" command I have failures because newly added mandatory attributes don't have values. Fortunately they are attributes that I can change manually (not sure if I want to do that for ~960 Defect Work Items though). After I have manually set those mandatory attributes I can successfully "Synchronize Attributes" for that Work Item. All of my attributes now appear in the places where they are intended to appear in the Work Item Editor and are not flagged but, they also still appear in that "Custom" tab as they did before I performed the synchronize. If I enter a value for a new attribute then it is no longer displayed in the "Custom" tab. Neat huh?

I think I will be forced to write some type of java program using one of the available APIs (most likely the Pure Java Client) to manipulate at minimum the mandatory elements. I know the APIs exist but, really have no idea if they can do what I just described.

Did I mention that I'm a complete newbie to the world of RTC?

I want to thank you for your direction and most importantly enlightening me that any given record/entry selected from a list with several columns could have a different context menu for each column. I don't think I would have ever thought about that scenario.

Mike Whitner

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 22 '12, 5:12 p.m.
One thing to be aware of..

the query editor will only return 1000 workitems at a time.
so if u have more than that, you will have to execute multiple queries to get the list of workitems you need to synchronize the attributes against. that means u have to construct the query to exclude the workitems which have been fixed already.. not so much fun.

sure would be nice to have RTC do this under the covers for the administrator. we expect we will have to do this for the next year as we migrate our staff and projects over to rtc.. we are attempting to run a single process model and attribute setup for all the projects.

permanent link
Michele Pegoraro (1.8k14118103) | answered Mar 22 '12, 9:41 a.m.
Hi,

Best Regards,
Michele.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.