It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Team Permission inheritance

Karen Steele (1.2k2135139) | asked Mar 22 '12, 9:26 a.m.
We have a scenario where the user is only included in a specific TEAM area - at both the project and team areas, the permissions for work items are ALL turned on.

However, the user when attempting to create a work item, is presented with multiple errors for permission denied on "update of summary, update of owned by, update of filed against" etc etc ...

I have had to restore several users to the project level as a workaround .. has anybody else seen this issue ? has a solution ?

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 22 '12, 10:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

the key typically is who owns the object and which role does the user play in the context of the owning context.

Please read here how permission lookup works: https://jazz.net/library/article/291

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2135139) | answered Mar 22 '12, 12:51 p.m.
Hi,

the key typically is who owns the object and which role does the user play in the context of the owning context.

Please read here how permission lookup works: https://jazz.net/library/article/291

thanks I actually found the problem / solution as its actually not permission related the permission were working correct.

The problem is basically the system producing "errors" on save that lead you up the garden path you could say.

Example : Create work item which has filed against as a mandatory field. User is a member of the "team" area only. If the DON'T fill in the Filed against value, the system actually indicates errors that they don't have permissions to update the summary, can't modify the planned for, owned by etc etc .. when in reality the actual problem is that they didn't complete the Filed Against value.

The system assumed, as the team Filed against value isn't set, that they are creating the work item at the project level ...

Technically its working as designed but no from the users perspective ;0)

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 22 '12, 1:05 p.m.
Hi,

as I said, filed against is related to the project area or a team. If the user is in the team only his role is everyone on project level. If the category is set to something associated to the project or some other team, the project or that other team is the owner. If the owner has no role in that team he has role everybody in the context that owns the work item. Hence, if everybody does not have permission to save work items, save will fail. Permissions can also be set on iterations, so it might have a temporal structure too.

And then there is also operational behavior, e.g. mandatory attributes......

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 22 '12, 5:57 p.m.
Glad you tracked it down.
I agree this is very confusing to the user.
I've submitted work item 203279 asking that the error messages be improved as you suggest.

Cheers,
Geoff

I actually found the problem / solution as its actually not permission related the permission were working correct.

The problem is basically the system producing "errors" on save that lead you up the garden path you could say.

Example : Create work item which has filed against as a mandatory field. User is a member of the "team" area only. If the DON'T fill in the Filed against value, the system actually indicates errors that they don't have permissions to update the summary, can't modify the planned for, owned by etc etc .. when in reality the actual problem is that they didn't complete the Filed Against value.

The system assumed, as the team Filed against value isn't set, that they are creating the work item at the project level ...

Technically its working as designed but no from the users perspective ;0)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.