It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I access RTC v2 and V3 servers via rich client?

Spencer Brown (1111) | asked Mar 19 '12, 11:52 a.m.
I have a need to access both RTC V2 and V3 servers from the rich client (Eclipse). Can this be done? I tried installing the V3 client but it would not let me access a V2 server.

4 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 19 '12, 3:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, a client major version number must be no later than the server major version number. The principle is that you upgrade the server first, and then clients upgrade at their convenience.

Cheers,
Geoff

Starting in 4.0, we are introducing n-1 client compatibility, so for example, you will be able to access both a V3 and a V4 server using a V3 rich client.

What about accessing a V3 server using a V4 rich client?

permanent link
Spencer Brown (1111) | answered Mar 19 '12, 12:34 p.m.
Starting in 4.0, we are introducing n-1 client compatibility, so for example, you will be able to access both a V3 and a V4 server using a V3 rich client.

What about accessing a V3 server using a V4 rich client?

permanent link
Spencer Brown (1111) | answered Mar 19 '12, 12:28 p.m.
No, you cannot use the same rich client to access both a V2 and a V3 server. Starting in 4.0, we are introducing n-1 client compatibility, so for example, you will be able to access both a V3 and a V4 server using a V3 rich client.

OK so can I then install two different Rational program groups (or whatever they call them -- basically separate Eclipse shells) using Installation Manager, and put one RTC client in one and the other in the other?

And if I do this can I run them both at the same time, albeit in separate instances/windows?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 19 '12, 12:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, you cannot use the same rich client to access both a V2 and a V3 server. Starting in 4.0, we are introducing n-1 client compatibility, so for example, you will be able to access both a V3 and a V4 server using a V3 rich client.

Cheers,
Geoff

I have a need to access both RTC V2 and V3 servers from the rich client (Eclipse). Can this be done? I tried installing the V3 client but it would not let me access a V2 server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.