It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Import GIT repository into RTC source control

Philippe Kaplan (6848) | asked Mar 16 '12, 5:16 a.m.
Hi,

I need to import a GIT repository into an existing RTC project. I've found a page that describes how to synchronize GIT with RTC, but that's not enough as the two projects are going to merge at the source level and I really want to migrate GIT history.

From what I've read so far this not possible today, but do you have any suggestion about an alternative migration plan or a good-enough solution ?

Thanks

Comments
Sandeep Anand commented Apr 05 '13, 6:01 a.m. | edited Apr 05 '13, 11:43 a.m.

Hi Philippe,

Did you get any solution for this?

BR
Sandeep

Tim Mok commented Apr 05 '13, 11:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no git importer so any solution would have to be custom at this point.

There is some documentation available for writing a custom importer but it would be quite a large task. https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/SCMImportFromOther

Philippe Kaplan commented Apr 08 '13, 5:02 a.m.

@sandeep: Actually someone else took over the migration project. I think he first converted git to svn, then used the svn import in RTC.

Paul W Jones commented Sep 18 '14, 6:15 p.m.

Still no way to migrate from Git to RTC?

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Apr 05 '13, 5:30 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 A "good enough" solution for migration of ANY SCM contents (GIT or otherwise) involves some manual steps.

I suggest identifying the "important" baselines from your GIT repository.  Once you have these identified, create a development workspace in Eclipse, and pull down the OLDEST baseline from your Git repository into this workspace.  At this point you can put this code under source control in Jazz, and create the component(s) that make sense.  Now create an initial baseline in jazz.  Now pull the second oldest baseline from your Git repository into the Eclipse workspace.  At this point RTC will identify all of the changed files, and you can check in your changes under a single workitem and changset.  Now create a new baseline for you component(s) in Jazz.  Keep repeating this sequence of "copy from Git, check into Jazz" for all of your important baselines in Git.  You will end up with a series of baselines in your Jazz components, and you will be able to go back and recreate a workspace from any one of these baselines and potentially create a new stream based on that baseline).

So you end up losing the user information and time/date information from the file changes (since they all show up having your name and the date/time of import into Jazz).  However, you do have a history of the changes made to the code base over time.  You also get the ability to go back and see which baselines were associated with particular changes.  It's simple, and it's brute force, but it works.  Hope this helps.

Comments
Philippe Kaplan commented Apr 08 '13, 5:00 a.m.

This is interesting to migrate the 'milestones' of the project. But developers are indeed interested in the full history, with change sets and comments.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.