It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Mentions links from custom fields not recorded in mentions

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Mar 15 '12, 9:02 a.m.
I have created a new workitem type.

some of the fields are HTML, some are String.

when a mention of another workitem is present, the reference works, but the reference does not generate an entry in the mentions section of the links area on the links tab.

the same reference in a 'comment', DOES show..

how can I configure my workitem to display all mentions, regardless of what field they were in?

One answer

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814261) | answered Apr 22 '14, 3:51 p.m.
edited Apr 22 '14, 3:52 p.m.

I am interested in this question as well. I found another post that also asked the question but did not have an answer.

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/69942/message-me-notification

It was also discussed here:

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/131275/rtc-how-to-enable-automated-mentioned-by-link-in-custom-html-field

The accepted answer on this last post is that it "is not possible". The second post referenced an enhancement request for this.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 22 '14, 3:54 p.m.

thats because there is no way to 'configure' the system to do this.  One could write a participant to read the value of the new field and create the mentions reference like the IBM code does for comments. 

Nate Decker commented Apr 22 '14, 4:37 p.m.

I like your idea. It is an option that had not occurred to me. I don't think my team has the expertise at present to implement that kind of operational participant, but it might be something we'll pursue in the feature. Thanks for suggesting it.

sam detweiler commented Apr 22 '14, 5:49 p.m.

and if you look into the workitem client or workitem common jar files,
(open the eclipse view (window->show view->plugins), find the jar, right click, import as source).
 you should be able to find the product code that actually does this.

Nate Decker commented Apr 22 '14, 6:23 p.m.

Oh nice. That could be really useful. You don't happen to know the actual plug-in that is responsible for this mention behavior do you?

I've tried to import one of them as source just to see what's in there, but none of the class files are viewable. I get "Source not found"; "There is no source file attached to the class file <class file name>".

I'm assuming that if I selected certain files, the content would indeed be viewable?

Perhaps this is only viewable if I have my target platform set to the SDK? I have a separate eClipse installation where I did that, but the one I'm developing on right now doesn't have the SDK. I'll have to try this on my other installation and see what it pulls up.

sam detweiler commented Apr 22 '14, 6:25 p.m.

you'll need to have the sdk setup to do the import.

I'll look around for the mentions function..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.