It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Update Conflict problem

Jamie Berry (14013693) | asked Mar 12 '12, 5:31 p.m.
We are experiencing a problem in RTC that I am hoping someone will have some advice on how to resolve. First off, we are running version 3.0.1.1 of the RTC CCM component and Eclipse RTC client.

The issue we are having is as follows:
- A user connects to the repository using their Eclipse client and brings up a work item (a Story out of the Scrum process template in this case).
- The user then tries to change the Owner of the work item and clicks Save
- At this point, an "Update Conflict" dialog is presented with the message that "The following work items have been changed on the server. Do you want to merge with or discard the local changes?"
- Selecting "Merge" does not solve the problem. Clicking Save again results in the same dialog.
- Selecting "Discard" and then closing/reopening the work item does not solve the issue either.
- I have tried launching the Eclipse client to access the work item and try the same update. I get the same error.

I haven't tried updating the work item using the Web Client yet.

Does anyone know why this work item is in this stuck condition and how to get it out?

We have had similar problems with stale items while moving work items around within a Plan.

Thanks,

Jamie Berry

6 answers

permanent link
Vanessa Hill (2635) | answered Mar 18 '15, 9:25 a.m.
Is there a defect open for this?  You can't just restart production servers in the middle of the day!

permanent link
angela sullivan (6) | answered Aug 06 '14, 4:18 a.m.

I have the same issue with 1 story in my project. What was the solution?

Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 06 '14, 7:39 a.m.

only solution so far is to restart the ccm server. this also shows 'stale data' as an error in the 4.0 releases

permanent link
Gayathri Vikraman (661129) | answered Sep 13 '12, 12:15 p.m.
Is there a technical solution for this issue? Even I am facing this issue with just 1 work item in my project area.

permanent link
Jamie Berry (14013693) | answered Apr 02 '12, 12:17 p.m.
Jim,

Thank you again for the reply. I responded to your private message on this, but wanted to post a response here as well. We are running Oracle version 10.2.0.5 64bit as a single server on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual server.

Jamie.

I have a customer experiencing this same problem. It happens inconsistently in different project areas, plans, and work items. Rebooting the application server resolves the conflict.

Can I ask what backend database you are using? Is it on a single server or is there a redundancy/load balancing solution (i.e., Oracle RAC) involved?

Thanks,
Jim

This issue seems to have resolved itself, but it is still a concern for our user community. We do not know what caused the issue and as I stated before, we have had similar problems with this repository and users moving work items around in a plan (getting the message that the item is out of sync with the server but having no way to get it in sync).

Has anyone seen this problem and if so, do you know how to make it stop happening?

Thanks,

Jamie Berry.

We are experiencing a problem in RTC that I am hoping someone will have some advice on how to resolve. First off, we are running version 3.0.1.1 of the RTC CCM component and Eclipse RTC client.

- A user connects to the repository using their Eclipse client and brings up a work item (a Story out of the Scrum process template in this case).
- At this point, an "Update Conflict" dialog is presented with the message that "The following work items have been changed on the server. Do you want to merge with or discard the local changes?"
- Selecting "Merge" does not solve the problem. Clicking Save again results in the same dialog.
- Selecting "Discard" and then closing/reopening the work item does not solve the issue either.
- I have tried launching the Eclipse client to access the work item and try the same update. I get the same error.

Does anyone know why this work item is in this stuck condition and how to get it out?

We have had similar problems with stale items while moving work items around within a Plan.

Thanks,

Jamie Berry

Comments
Gayathri Vikraman commented Sep 13 '12, 12:15 p.m.

Is there a technical solution for this issue. Even I am facing this issue with just 1 work item in my project area.

permanent link
Jim Tykal (166116) | answered Mar 30 '12, 5:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a customer experiencing this same problem. It happens inconsistently in different project areas, plans, and work items. Rebooting the application server resolves the conflict.

Can I ask what backend database you are using? Is it on a single server or is there a redundancy/load balancing solution (i.e., Oracle RAC) involved?

Thanks,
Jim

This issue seems to have resolved itself, but it is still a concern for our user community. We do not know what caused the issue and as I stated before, we have had similar problems with this repository and users moving work items around in a plan (getting the message that the item is out of sync with the server but having no way to get it in sync).

Has anyone seen this problem and if so, do you know how to make it stop happening?

Thanks,

Jamie Berry.

Thanks,

Jamie Berry

permanent link
Jamie Berry (14013693) | answered Mar 14 '12, 3:59 p.m.

Thanks,

Jamie Berry.

Thanks,

Jamie Berry

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.