It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Top level plan overview

Niels Jørgen Strøm (8136) | asked Mar 01 '12, 8:51 a.m.
I am missing a possibility to get a top level plan overview and I wonder if it is possible in some way.

Just like the "upward" and "downward" references you get in a release plan where planned items are greyed and marked with a "Planned for ..." text, I would like the possibility of a "downward" reference in the Product Backlog that gives me the overview of all work items, both planned and non-planned.

I would actually expect the filter "Exclude Planned Items" to be the switch for this, but it isn't.

Have I configured my plans wrong or is it not possible?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 01 '12, 9:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The plan contents are tree-based, so the members of a plan are all items that are in the selected iteration and its child iterations. So if you want to be able to create a plan with all work items in a timeline, you have to create a single "root" iteration, and put all your iterations under that. But note that doing so does not scale, because a plan with thousands of work items will be slow and place excessive load on the server.

Cheers,
Geoff

I am missing a possibility to get a top level plan overview and I wonder if it is possible in some way.

Just like the "upward" and "downward" references you get in a release plan where planned items are greyed and marked with a "Planned for ..." text, I would like the possibility of a "downward" reference in the Product Backlog that gives me the overview of all work items, both planned and non-planned.

I would actually expect the filter "Exclude Planned Items" to be the switch for this, but it isn't.

permanent link
Niels Jørgen Strøm (8136) | answered Mar 08 '12, 3:46 a.m.
Perfect! - exactly what I was looking for - and it was easy to change, too!
In this case I do not have to worry about the scalability because I do not have that many items.

Cheers,
Niels Jrgen

The plan contents are tree-based, so the members of a plan are all items that are in the selected iteration and its child iterations. So if you want to be able to create a plan with all work items in a timeline, you have to create a single "root" iteration, and put all your iterations under that. But note that doing so does not scale, because a plan with thousands of work items will be slow and place excessive load on the server.

Cheers,
Geoff

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.