It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to configure read-only access to RTC components?

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | asked Feb 29 '12, 11:20 a.m.
edited Apr 11 '17, 7:58 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Is it possible to configure read-only access to RTC components in RTC 301?

If yes, how to do it?

We have many teams on the same RTC repository and we successfully prevent them from peeking on each other's code by restricting component access to just tightly controlled access list.

But there are many cases where one team simply want to view the other team's code with no intention to modify it.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Feb 29 '12, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You might check this article: https://jazz.net/library/article/215#protect_some.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Guowei Jim Hu commented Feb 29 '12, 3:15 p.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:14 a.m.

Thanks, Hajo,

But that is not what I am looking for.

I want a way to separate read-only and read&write protection.

The approaches described in the article are you have either all or nothing because you'll be able to modify the code when you see the component or you can't see it at all.

What I want is to have read-only access separated from full-access. One with read-only access should be able to see the stream and component and source code but can't modify any file.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 01 '12, 12:57 a.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

For "read-only" protection, see the sections of the article named "Use permissions to control delivery to streams" and "Use permissions to control delivery to components".
That is how you let some people only read the content of the stream, while letting other people both read and write the stream.

Cheers,
Geoff

Guowei Jim Hu commented Mar 02 '12, 4:19 p.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:17 a.m.

Geoff,
"Use permissions to control delivery to components" seems doing the tricks.
Users to get Read-only access still need to be added to the team area which own the stream and access list of the source control project area which owns the components in our case.
They will be able to create and load workspaces with the components they are assigned to access but just can't deliver their change set to the components due to Restrict Change set delivery to components in a stream precondition.
I guess they will still be able to make changes and check in their change set but just can't share their change with the team by delivering to the stream?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 02 '12, 5:22 p.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That is correct ... without read permission to the stream, you still are
allowed to make changes in your personal workspace (you just cannot
deliver those changes to the stream). Note that this is very much on
purpose. If you have read access to a file, then you can always make a
copy of that file on disk, and make changes to it. A version control
system that doesn't let you make changes to your "private copy"; (i.e. a
copy in your personal workspace) is just poorly designed ... it is
forcing you out of the version control system in order to experiment
with some changes. RTC does not have that design flaw (:-).

Cheers,
Geoff

One other answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 29 '12, 5:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Setting read access on the file after it has been loaded isn't supported.

What is the use case for this? If the user can't deliver any changes, it doesn't matter whether write access is allowed on the file. Whatever the user does with the files after loading seems to be beyond the scope of source control.

Comments
Guowei Jim Hu commented Feb 29 '12, 6:58 p.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:16 a.m.

Tim,
With RTC Eclipse client, after getting access to stream and component or with RTC admin privilege, via Show->Repository Files one can see all files in a component and open and modify them.
You don't need to load them to a local sandbox first to do that.

My point is or I am trying to find out is that if there is no way to configure RTC SCM such that I can separate read-only and full access to a component and files stored. So I can give IBMers outside of our dev. teams, like L3, customer support personnel, access to our source code but keep it read-only.

Tim Mok commented Mar 01 '12, 11:49 a.m. | edited Apr 11 '17, 8:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Users cannot modify files through the Repository Files view. Opening the file is either a local copy (content was loaded) or opens the remote file (not editable).

The only place you can edit directly on a stream is through the web ui but that is also creating a change set that is delivered. The user would also require deliver permissions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.