It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to design our system

Yehiel Glass (25538986) | asked Feb 28 '12, 7:05 a.m.
Hi,

I have 3 components (APP1,APP2,Shared) and 2 versions dates (REL1, REL2).
Every component has different version number but same version date.
How to use RTC for my system?

Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 28 '12, 11:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ralph,
Release 2 is based on Release 1.
I thought on: 2 streams contains the 3 components with different versions of the components.
Release 1 will deliver changes to Release 2 (or Release 2 will accept changes from Release 1) and on the Release time, we will make 3 baselines and snapshot.
A developer can work against one of the releases and even can get old version of one of the components (replace with old baseline).
What do you think? Any other ideas ?
Thanks.

Hi Yehiel,

I would start that way. I would look into reducing overlap of work, to reduce merge conflicts. To use only two streams is fine. I would try to have them look at issue pattern with the integration, e.g. how do you stabilize and make sure to get an integrated version of the shared and other components? When do you branch off from a baseline for stabilizing? It probably really depends on factors only experience can show, how they work and what works and what does not.

One experience I made in the past is, it is better to get started, learn and improve then waste a lot of time in trying to anticipate everything.

permanent link
Yehiel Glass (25538986) | answered Feb 28 '12, 11:25 a.m.
Hi Ralph,
Release 2 is based on Release 1.
I thought on: 2 streams contains the 3 components with different versions of the components.
Release 1 will deliver changes to Release 2 (or Release 2 will accept changes from Release 1) and on the Release time, we will make 3 baselines and snapshot.
A developer can work against one of the releases and even can get old version of one of the components (replace with old baseline).
What do you think? Any other ideas ?
Thanks.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 28 '12, 8:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I have 3 components (APP1,APP2,Shared) and 2 versions dates (REL1, REL2).
Every component has different version number but same version date.
How to use RTC for my system?

Thanks.

Yehil,

there are many options, dependent on how the people work and who does changes against what. In addition I would try an evolutionary approach and adjust as you learn.

If you have completely unrelated releases and there is no dependency between them you can have two streams with the required components in each stream. The developers work against their components/Stream. You can have two teams and two timelines (REL1, REL2) each team working against one timeline. That would allow planning.

Assuming two (or potentially more) streams, if there is overlap e.g. in the shared component, you can integrate changes by flowing them between the streams on demand.

I would suggest to get started with a setup that is as easy as possible and go from there.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.