It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Deploy custom Birt reports to many ProjectAreas

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Feb 17 '12, 7:56 a.m.
Hello,

I have written two Birt report templates (and will write more) and now I want to deploy them to all existing Project Areas.

- I know how the add the template to a projectarea, using the NEW action
- I know also how to add a report to the dashboard library so I can add it into a report viewlet on a dashboard
- I know also how to add it to the process template attachments so I can use them in the project initialization phase for new project areas (what is not helping me, because all my projects are using a shared project area as their process template, so the project initialization is doing nothing, because it was done by creating the project area with the unconfigured process (another issue))

BUT: I do not know how I can deploy this new templates without going to each existing project area and use the NEW action for each template.

Also the DEPLOY NEW TEMPLATES action is doing nothing. It is not recognicing the new templates.

And the UPDATE FROM FOLDER Action is also not recognizing my new templates if I put them into a folder.

So I'm loosing a lot of time to add the new or changed templates to each of the project areas. This is ok with two-three project areas but not with 100.

Questions:
- how is the process to add/update a report template to all project areas?
- where is the source of the DEPLOY NEW TEMPLATES action, so I could put my templates into this library and just run this action manual for each project area?
- how should the UPDATE FROM FOLDER action work?
- As I said, all my projects are inheriting the process from one project area. I have all customizations done within this parent project area for the report and also added them to the attachments. Why are the children not taking the report templates from there? (The dashboard configuration is correctly taken.)
- How can I re-run the process initialization, so I could do this deployment with help of this?

regards
Guido

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 01 '12, 10:39 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that this functionality is requested in work item 98856.
Please feel free to add a comment to this work item, indicating your interest/support.

Cheers,
Geoff

Hello,

I have written two Birt report templates (and will write more) and now I want to deploy them to all existing Project Areas.

- I know how the add the template to a projectarea, using the NEW action
- I know also how to add a report to the dashboard library so I can add it into a report viewlet on a dashboard
- I know also how to add it to the process template attachments so I can use them in the project initialization phase for new project areas (what is not helping me, because all my projects are using a shared project area as their process template, so the project initialization is doing nothing, because it was done by creating the project area with the unconfigured process (another issue))

BUT: I do not know how I can deploy this new templates without going to each existing project area and use the NEW action for each template.

Also the DEPLOY NEW TEMPLATES action is doing nothing. It is not recognicing the new templates.

And the UPDATE FROM FOLDER Action is also not recognizing my new templates if I put them into a folder.

So I'm loosing a lot of time to add the new or changed templates to each of the project areas. This is ok with two-three project areas but not with 100.

Questions:
- how is the process to add/update a report template to all project areas?
- where is the source of the DEPLOY NEW TEMPLATES action, so I could put my templates into this library and just run this action manual for each project area?
- how should the UPDATE FROM FOLDER action work?
- As I said, all my projects are inheriting the process from one project area. I have all customizations done within this parent project area for the report and also added them to the attachments. Why are the children not taking the report templates from there? (The dashboard configuration is correctly taken.)
- How can I re-run the process initialization, so I could do this deployment with help of this?

regards
Guido
Guido Schneider selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Feb 18 '12, 7:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Deploy New Templates action only deploys the out of the box templates that we ship in a bundle part of the server binaries.
You could create a new bundle that contains all your templates and add it to the server. That will make the Deploy New Templates action discover your templates.

The RTC bundle that contains all of the out of the box templates is named:
com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common

Please look inside the jar and try to do something similar. This is an undocumented procedure.

We have seen several requests to improve the report template deployment feature. We will consider adding a bulk upload feature from the reports admin web interface.

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Feb 21 '12, 5:49 p.m.
Thanks for answer.

Now I understand the DEPLOY option.

For what is the UPDATE FROM FOLDER option? It never find's any changed templates if I try this.

permanent link
Matthias Buettgen (23612131) | answered Mar 30 '12, 9:28 a.m.
The Deploy New Templates action only deploys the out of the box templates that we ship in a bundle part of the server binaries.
You could create a new bundle that contains all your templates and add it to the server. That will make the Deploy New Templates action discover your templates.

The RTC bundle that contains all of the out of the box templates is named:
com.ibm.team.examples.reports.common

Please look inside the jar and try to do something similar. This is an undocumented procedure.

We have seen several requests to improve the report template deployment feature. We will consider adding a bulk upload feature from the reports admin web interface.

Hi Rafik,

does this mean I can keep the existing bundle untouched and create a new one that is recognized by the server or do I have update the existing one with the report templates created by me?

Regards
Matthias

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.