It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Retrieve history of work item states

Steve Gates (9134) | asked Feb 14 '12, 4:55 p.m.
I have the following code to begin retrieving the history of a work item using the plain java client.

WorkItemClient workItemClient= (WorkItemClient) repository.getClientLibrary(WorkItemClient.class);
IWorkItemClient iWiClient = (IWorkItemClient) repository.getClientLibrary(IWorkItemClient.class);
IWorkItem workItem = iWiClient.findWorkItemById(defectId, IWorkItem.FULL_PROFILE, monitor);

List<ChangeLogDTO> log = workItemClient.computeWorkItemHistory(workItem, monitor);

The issue I'm running into is that the last line of the snippet is throwing a null pointer exception. Not exactly sure why I'm getting that and hoping someone here would have some insight or if there's a better way.

Steve

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 15 '12, 12:33 a.m.
what is 'defectId'?

the findWorkItemById is failing..

Sam

permanent link
Steve Gates (9134) | answered Feb 15 '12, 9:19 a.m.
what is 'defectId'?

the findWorkItemById is failing..

Sam

'defectId' is an int with a value of 7976, which is a valid work item ID in our database.

findWorkItemById is not failing because I can get the various values of the work item that are available with the workItem object, such as description, summary, etc.

permanent link
SEC Servizi (97123660) | answered Jun 18 '12, 5:28 a.m.
edited Jun 18 '12, 5:39 a.m.
You get a NullPointerException because you cannot get an instance of the WorkItemClient.class with:
WorkItemClient  workItemClientInternal = (WorkItemClient) repository.getClientLibrary(WorkItemClient.class);
You have to use the constructor method:
WorkItemClient workItemClientInternal = new WorkItemClient((IClientLibraryContext) repo);
and where repo is your ITeamRepository current instance.
Cheers.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.