It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to restrict changing Types?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Feb 10 '12, 7:31 p.m.
Is it possible to restrict users from changing the Type of a work item once it's been opened? We have some users who are changing the Type from Defect to Enhancement. I consider this bad practice as the fields don't matchup and data could be lost but I'd also like to restrict it if possible.

I don't think I can do it through the Value Providers as I couldn't retrieve the Type value before the Save action, only the value after.

6 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 11 '12, 1:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is it possible to restrict users from changing the Type of a work item once it's been opened? We have some users who are changing the Type from Defect to Enhancement. I consider this bad practice as the fields don't matchup and data could be lost but I'd also like to restrict it if possible.

I don't think I can do it through the Value Providers as I couldn't retrieve the Type value before the Save action, only the value after.

Would this suit your needs? Look under Team Configuration -> Permissions. Choose a Role to revoke this permission from then scroll down the permitted actions and open Work Items -> Save Work Item (server) -> Modify the work item -> Modify the work item's type.

You can apply to multiple roles (and leave off of some who should be allowed to make changes to the Type). What I don't think you can do via built-in Permissions or Operation Behavior is specifically block this for just the Defect -> Enhancement change. You could potentially extend RTC with this behavior: http://sodius.com/team-blog/2012/jazz/how-to-extend-rational-team-concert

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 11 '12, 1:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Check the URL of their profile page.
I predict it is the jts application, which only shows "Overview" in a
user profile. What you want is the user profile from the ccm
application. To get there, open some ccm page (such as a ccm project
area or work item), and then select user profile in the drop down menu
in the upper right corner next to your name.

I agree this can be very confusing. I've submitted work item:
195385:"There should be a single unified User Profile page."
Please feel free to add a comment to that work item, indicating your
interest/support.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/10/2012 7:38 PM, miwalker wrote:
We have a user who when they access their Profile through the Web
Client only has the Overview tab displayed. They are not seeing the
Mail Config, Work Environment, ect. tabs. I compare his privileges
with other users who can see them and I can't find anything
different.

What could be causing him to only see the first tab?

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Feb 13 '12, 10:39 p.m.
Thanks Geoff...that was the problem.

The user had bookmarked a personal dashboard that was the first page he went to. He was clicking on the profile there and only getting the Overview page. When I directed him to a RTC page and then click his Profile, he saw all the tabs.

Check the URL of their profile page.
I predict it is the jts application, which only shows "Overview" in a
user profile. What you want is the user profile from the ccm
application. To get there, open some ccm page (such as a ccm project
area or work item), and then select user profile in the drop down menu
in the upper right corner next to your name.

I agree this can be very confusing. I've submitted work item:
195385:"There should be a single unified User Profile page."
Please feel free to add a comment to that work item, indicating your
interest/support.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/10/2012 7:38 PM, miwalker wrote:
We have a user who when they access their Profile through the Web
Client only has the Overview tab displayed. They are not seeing the
Mail Config, Work Environment, ect. tabs. I compare his privileges
with other users who can see them and I can't find anything
different.

What could be causing him to only see the first tab?

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Feb 13 '12, 10:41 p.m.
Millard,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to suggest a process change first, and if that doesn't work then I'll look into extending RTC. I don't think they're going to want to restrict users from opening Enhancements, just not allow changing from Defect to Enhancement

Would this suit your needs? Look under Team Configuration -> Permissions. Choose a Role to revoke this permission from then scroll down the permitted actions and open Work Items -> Save Work Item (server) -> Modify the work item -> Modify the work item's type.

You can apply to multiple roles (and leave off of some who should be allowed to make changes to the Type). What I don't think you can do via built-in Permissions or Operation Behavior is specifically block this for just the Defect -> Enhancement change. You could potentially extend RTC with this behavior: http://sodius.com/team-blog/2012/jazz/how-to-extend-rational-team-concert

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 14 '12, 1:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Millard,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to suggest a process change first, and if that doesn't work then I'll look into extending RTC. I don't think they're going to want to restrict users from opening Enhancements, just not allow changing from Defect to Enhancement

Just to be clear, folks can open a defect of any type, they just won't be able to change that later (for whatever roles are affected).

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Feb 14 '12, 4:23 a.m.
Millard,

Just to be clear, folks can open a defect of any type, they just won't be able to change that later (for whatever roles are affected).

Thanks Millard for the follow-up. I did read it incorrectly the first time. I think this could work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.