It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1 Build engine connection problems with Buildforge

Patrick Gagan (31185) | asked Feb 07 '12, 11:29 p.m.
I was wondering if someone could assist with an RTC - Buildforge integration/connection problem.

I have a RTC 3.0.1 repository, which I am creating a Buildforge build engine and trying to connect to a Buildforge server running ver 7.1.3.1.
The Test Connection on the build engine returns a:
Testing, please wait...
Result: com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceException - CRJAZ0099I When accessing the URL "https://swgjazz.ibm.com:8030/jazz/service/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.internal.common.IBuildForgeServicesLayerService" the following HTTP error occurred: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException"

I have tried connecting using both secure connection(using port 49150) and non-secure(using port 3966), but still get the same error.
The Buildforge server does use LDAP to authenticate, so I have also tried using <LDAP>\userID and additional ports to no avail.

We also have another RTC repository at v2.0.0.2 that connects to a Buildforge 7.1.1.3 server without any problems. Initially there was a good deal of setup that needed to be done for that, but from what I've read RTC 3.0.1 should be good to go without any additional setup, as per this doc:
https://jazz.net/library/article/607

I have also tried pointing my build engine(3.0.1 repo) at the other/7.1.1.3 Buildforge machine but am also unable to connect.

If anyone can help provide some suggestions or troubleshooting help it would be appreiciated.

5 answers

permanent link
Patrick Gagan (31185) | answered Feb 10 '12, 5:32 p.m.
Have tried the default ports 3966 and 49150 and get the same results.
When logging into the Buildforge admin console via a browser there is a redirect(due to LDAP?) to the 8443 port.
Both Buildforge servers, including the one that works are using 8443.

Not worring about the new nsbfmc03 server(which has no SSL), Why wouldn't we be able to connect to the good/working nsbfmc01 server from RTC 3.0.1, when it works from 2.0.0.2?
That is what's puzzling.

Is 8443 really the port for the BF Services layer? By default it is 3966 for non-SSL and 49150 for SSL. Did you change the ports for the Build Forge deploy?

I would recommend uing the non-SSL for right now, since the SSL connection is currently broken.

~Spencer

Hi Thanks for the response,

Nothing appears at all in the Error Log viewer on the client, as far as the server logs I will check.

To avoid confusion, let me list the names of the BF servers and their versions:
nsbfmc01 - 7.1.1.3 - Currrently being used and connected to from RTC 2.0.0.2, but unable to connect to it from RTC v3.0.1
nsbfmc03 - 7.1.3.1 - Pretty much a copy of 01, we are trying to use it but have not been able to connect at all from RTC 3.0.1.

There are only 2 things different about these two BF servers, nsbfmc01 has a GeoTrust cert while nsbfmc03 uses the self sign one.
And nsbfmc03 does not have SSL enabled.

The different errors are a result of trying various options within the Build engine.

When I try to connect securely, using port 8443, which is the same options that we use on the
working config(RTC 2.0.0.2 and nsbfmc01), we get:
Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A java.nio.channels.NotYetConnectedException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the information specified and check that the server is running. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

If I leave off secure connection I quickly get this, also get this if I use a bogus hostname,etc..:
Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A java.io.IOException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the host and port specified, make sure the Build Forge server is running and retry the connection test. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

And one time I got this, when I had secure connection turned off:
Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A com.buildforge.services.common.api.ProtocolException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the user id and password specified and retry. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

I would be willing to try any suggestions you and your team can provide, let me know if you need anything
else.

What does the jazz or ccm log show? Do you get all three of those errors? Those errors indicate very different problems.

~Spencer

I was wondering if someone could assist with an RTC - Buildforge integration/connection problem.

I have a RTC 3.0.1 repository, which I am creating a Buildforge build engine and trying to connect to a Buildforge server running ver 7.1.3.1.
Testing, please wait...
Result: com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceException - CRJAZ0099I When accessing the URL "https://swgjazz.ibm.com:8030/jazz/service/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.internal.common.IBuildForgeServicesLayerService" the following HTTP error occurred: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException"

I have tried connecting using both secure connection(using port 49150) and non-secure(using port 3966), but still get the same error.
The Buildforge server does use LDAP to authenticate, so I have also tried using <LDAP>\userID and additional ports to no avail.

We also have another RTC repository at v2.0.0.2 that connects to a Buildforge 7.1.1.3 server without any problems. Initially there was a good deal of setup that needed to be done for that, but from what I've read RTC 3.0.1 should be good to go without any additional setup, as per this doc:

I have also tried pointing my build engine(3.0.1 repo) at the other/7.1.1.3 Buildforge machine but am also unable to connect.

If anyone can help provide some suggestions or troubleshooting help it would be appreiciated.

After logging off and restarting the eclipse client I am no longer
recieving the 'java.net.SocketTimeoutException' error msg, Instead
I am now getting more descriptive errors, however the connection
problem still exists.

I have tried connecting to the 7.1.1.3 Buildforge server, the one
currently being used and connected to from the RTC 2.0.0.2 repository,
from RTC 3.0.1 and still get these errors.

Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A java.nio.channels.NotYetConnectedException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the information specified and check that the server is running. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A java.io.IOException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the host and port specified, make sure the Build Forge server is running and retry the connection test. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A com.buildforge.services.common.api.ProtocolException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the user id and password specified and retry. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Feb 10 '12, 5:09 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is 8443 really the port for the BF Services layer? By default it is 3966 for non-SSL and 49150 for SSL. Did you change the ports for the Build Forge deploy?

I would recommend uing the non-SSL for right now, since the SSL connection is currently broken.

~Spencer

Nothing appears at all in the Error Log viewer on the client, as far as the server logs I will check.

nsbfmc01 - 7.1.1.3 - Currrently being used and connected to from RTC 2.0.0.2, but unable to connect to it from RTC v3.0.1
nsbfmc03 - 7.1.3.1 - Pretty much a copy of 01, we are trying to use it but have not been able to connect at all from RTC 3.0.1.

There are only 2 things different about these two BF servers, nsbfmc01 has a GeoTrust cert while nsbfmc03 uses the self sign one.

The different errors are a result of trying various options within the Build engine.

When I try to connect securely, using port 8443, which is the same options that we use on the
Testing, please wait...

If I leave off secure connection I quickly get this, also get this if I use a bogus hostname,etc..:
Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

I would be willing to try any suggestions you and your team can provide, let me know if you need anything
else.

What does the jazz or ccm log show? Do you get all three of those errors? Those errors indicate very different problems.

~Spencer

Testing, please wait...

problem still exists.

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

permanent link
Patrick Gagan (31185) | answered Feb 10 '12, 5:04 p.m.

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

else.

~Spencer

Testing, please wait...

problem still exists.

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Feb 10 '12, 11:31 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

~Spencer

Testing, please wait...

problem still exists.

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

permanent link
Patrick Gagan (31185) | answered Feb 10 '12, 10:38 a.m.

Testing, please wait...

problem still exists.

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Testing, please wait...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.