It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permission denied while invoking post-build participant

Makson Lee (41024241) | asked Feb 01 '12, 8:16 p.m.
Hi All,

We want to promote snapshot (or deliver baseline) from build workspace to target stream automatically, so we have the post-build deliver set in the build definition, but got the following error while a build was executed, at the moment, we found that there is just one baseline in the build workspace needed to delivered, so why a 'save stream' permission is needed?

2012-02-02 04:57:13 Invoking post-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.autoDeliver"
2012-02-02 04:57:13 Delivering components...
com.ibm.team.repository.common.PermissionDeniedException: 'Save Stream' failed. Permission denied.

Regards,
Makson

15 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Feb 07 '12, 11:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ok, let's follow up in the work item. I would like to find a better way of dealing with deletions, and it would help to understand more about your scenario for that, so if you can provide more details in the work item that would help.

permanent link
Makson Lee (41024241) | answered Feb 05 '12, 9:16 p.m.
Hi Nick,

Yes, the delivery may take the discarded changes back, but one should know about this if he want a regular delivery.

Just like that the replacement may accidentally remove changes if someone (me?) don't know about 'Post-build Delivery' exactlly.

Please add a option to let us choose what we want to use.

Regards,
Makson

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Feb 03 '12, 9:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
> If the post-build deliver is really a replace,
then the target stream cannot be the same stream from which the build
workspace accepts changes.

Since the snapshot is taken at the time of the accept at the start of the build, there would be little benefit in pushing it back to the same stream. The target stream already has the changes. It could only lose changes. What are you really trying to do in this scenario? Is this the "run a personal build then deliver if OK" scenario? If so, we'd also need enhance it to support personal builds.

The main issue with a regular deliver is the handling of discards and conflicts.
In the work item Geoff filed he suggests simply failing the post-build deliver if there are conflicts. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

But what about discards? Say a developer "delivers a discard" after the start of the build, i.e. discards one or more change sets from his workspace, then does a component replace on the target stream. How should this be handled in the post-build deliver? Like a regular developer workspace, the build workspace will see this as an outgoing change, so a regular deliver would put the changes back in the stream.

It may be possible to take advantage of the snapshot taken at the start of the build in this case, e.g. to say "at the start of the build, these changes were in the stream, and now are not, so treat it as a discard and don't put them back", but that only works if the target stream is the same as the source stream.

For the personal build case, we'd also need to allow personal builds to create a snapshot (item 193979).

permanent link
Makson Lee (41024241) | answered Feb 03 '12, 4:16 a.m.
also, now i need to modify my build script to deliver baseline, but wait, baseline delivery is not supported by scm command ....

Regards,
Makson

permanent link
Makson Lee (41024241) | answered Feb 03 '12, 12:33 a.m.
If the post-build deliver is really a replace,
workspace accepts changes. It needs to be a separate stream that
normally gets changes only from the build, not from developers.

then the only purpose for 'Post-build Delivery' is to make a green stream.

Regards,
Makson

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Feb 02 '12, 11:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 2/2/2012 5:38 PM, cdlee wrote:
Ok, let's think about this case, if someone deliver another change to
the stream during the build process, then what would happen if a
'Post-build Delivery' is triggered? The change would be discarded,
that is not what we expect for post-build 'delivery'.

I had the same thought. If the post-build deliver is really a replace,
workspace accepts changes. It needs to be a separate stream that
normally gets changes only from the build, not from developers.

--
David Olsen
IBM Rational
Beaverton, Oregon

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 02 '12, 9:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I personally would want to have the post-build deliver action be a
standard "merge" deliver, and not a "replace". Either there is nothing
to overwrite, in which case "merge" will succeed, or there is something
that will be overwritten, in which case I would think the usual intent
would be to fail the deliver, rather than overwrite. I've submitted
work item 194461 for this. Please feel free to add a comment to
indicate your interest/support.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/2/2012 2:08 PM, daviddl wrote:
cdleewrote:
As i said in earlier post, build engine try to do the 'replace'
action instead of 'deliver', is this a bug?

Regards,
Makson

This is actually accurate, it needs to perform a component replace and
not a deliver of change sets / components. This is also similar to
what happens in the pre-build "Jazz Source Control"
participant. Semantically, this stage 'accepts' from the build
repository workspaces' flow targets, however it actually performs a
replace. (doing so avoids issues with
deletions/discards/synchronization issue/etc.) For example, the build
workspace could not blindly accept change sets as it's possible they
might result in a conflict with what's already in the build
workspace, and obviously an automated build cannot 'correctly' merge
conflicts. The main idea in both cases is that we need to put the
source (pre-build accept) or target (post-build deliver) in the exact
same state as the current state of the 'sources' (flow target /
deliver stream) at the time of build.

For example, this allows the "Post-build Deliver"
participant to have a stream mirror exactly what was built in the
build workspace (by choosing "all components" in the
"Post-build Deliver" page) What will happen is that the
pre-build SCM stage will create a snapshot, and then the post-build
stage will replace all components in that target stream with the
contents of the created snapshot, ensuring the stream contains
exactly what is in the snapshot created during the build (no more, no
less)... this also ensures that the target stream is 'green' (assuming
the "Trigger Policy" on the "Post-build Deliver"
page was set to "Deliver if build has no errors or
warnings").

permanent link
Makson Lee (41024241) | answered Feb 02 '12, 8:31 p.m.
Hi,

Thanks for your explaination, but should we change the 'Post-build Delivery' to 'Post-build Replacement', it is quite different between delivery and replacement.

As i found in this forum, someone just wanted to deliver baseline made in the build workspace after a successful build automatically, then someone told him the 'Post-build Delivery' would meet his requirement.

Ok, let's think about this case, if someone deliver another change to the stream during the build process, then what would happen if a 'Post-build Delivery' is triggered? The change would be discarded, that is not what we expect for post-build 'delivery'.

Regards,
Makson

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 02 '12, 1:59 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As i said in earlier post, build engine try to do the 'replace' action instead of 'deliver', is this a bug?

Regards,
Makson

This is actually accurate, it needs to perform a component replace and not a deliver of change sets / components. This is also similar to what happens in the pre-build "Jazz Source Control" participant. Semantically, this stage 'accepts' from the build repository workspaces' flow targets, however it actually performs a replace. (doing so avoids issues with deletions/discards/synchronization issue/etc.) For example, the build workspace could not blindly accept change sets as it's possible they might result in a conflict with what's already in the build workspace, and obviously an automated build cannot 'correctly' merge conflicts. The main idea in both cases is that we need to put the source (pre-build accept) or target (post-build deliver) in the exact same state as the current state of the 'sources' (flow target / deliver stream) at the time of build.

For example, this allows the "Post-build Deliver" participant to have a stream mirror exactly what was built in the build workspace (by choosing "all components" in the "Post-build Deliver" page) What will happen is that the pre-build SCM stage will create a snapshot, and then the post-build stage will replace all components in that target stream with the contents of the created snapshot, ensuring the stream contains exactly what is in the snapshot created during the build (no more, no less)... this also ensures that the target stream is 'green' (assuming the "Trigger Policy" on the "Post-build Deliver" page was set to "Deliver if build has no errors or warnings").

permanent link
Makson Lee (41024241) | answered Feb 02 '12, 1:25 a.m.
As i said in earlier post, build engine try to do the 'replace' action instead of 'deliver', is this a bug?

Regards,
Makson

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.