It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BIRT version compatibility

Andrew Stevens (1482629) | asked Jan 31 '12, 7:08 a.m.
Hi,

I'm using Rational App Developer 8, which came with BIRT version 2.6.2 preinstalled. Should I be able to use this to develop reports for our RTC (3.0.1.1) installation? At the moment things run okay on my local machine, but when I upload the report designs to the server they just give an error message when I try to run them. ("The design file has an error and can not be run")

I notice the documentation & tutorials around here only mention BIRT 2.5.2 in relation to RTC 3.0, so wondered if that was the cause of the errors I'm seeing. Seems a bit strange that the current versions of two Rational products wouldn't be compatible with each other, but perhaps their release schedules were too different to manage it...

Andy

2 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Feb 18 '12, 9:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a known BIRT bug that causes the incompatibility with RTC Source Control. I think it has been fixed in recent versions of BIRT. A workaround is to copy the BIRT files to an Eclipse project that is not shared using RTC Source Control and edit it there. You can copy the file back to the original project when you need to deliver the changes.

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482629) | answered Feb 20 '12, 5:11 a.m.
This is a known BIRT bug that causes the incompatibility with RTC Source Control. I think it has been fixed in recent versions of BIRT. A workaround is to copy the BIRT files to an Eclipse project that is not shared using RTC Source Control and edit it there. You can copy the file back to the original project when you need to deliver the changes.

Actually, this problem still occurs when using a local directory, nothing to do with RTC Source Control. I think it's happening because the RTC server only contains an earlier (2.5.2) version of the BIRT report viewer, and that doesn't like the newer version design files produced by RAD's bundled BIRT (2.6.2) plugins.

I found some instructions for installing the older BIRT version into the standalone RTC client, so have installed those. Maybe the next RTC version will have upgraded its BIRT...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.