It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Versioned BIRT reports give error on opening

Andrew Stevens (1482629) | asked Jan 30 '12, 9:41 a.m.
Hi,

Has anyone else observed this behaviour?
I'm using RAD 8.0.2 to create a new BIRT report (the bundled plugins appear to be BIRT 2.6.2). These are for use either standalone or within our own application, so in this instance I'm not worried about compatibility with running them inside the Jazz server. However, I want to have the report design under version control, so I've checked in the Report Project into my RTC repository workspace.

Since doing that, I've found that opening report designs (or creating new ones, which haven't been checked in yet) produces an error message "The opening design file is not a valid design file or the file does not exist."; when I OK this, the file opens on the XML Source page and won't let me change to any of the others "Error in XML Source Page must be corrected before other pages can be used." No red error markers in the margin and nothing listed on the Problems view, though, and it's plainly untrue as I have an identical .rptdesign file in an un-versioned project that it will open in the editor just fine. Heck, I can copy the file from the versioned project to an un-versioned one, open it to work on, copy it back once I'm done editing, and once again be unable to reopen it from the versioned project... Which at least gives me a workaround, but it's a lot of hassle.

Does anyone else get this, or is it just me?

Andrew.

6 answers

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482629) | answered Jan 31 '12, 8:01 a.m.
Some more information...

I've noticed in the .log file when creating or opening reports in the versioned project an exception is being thrown:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui 4 1001 2012-01-31 12:31:50.853

!MESSAGE File not found:C:\2\RTCWorkspaces\RTC Maintenance\RTC Reports\new_report_2.rptdesign (The system cannot find the path specified.)
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.core.runtime.GUIException: File not found:C:\2\RTCWorkspaces\RTC Maintenance\RTC Reports\new_report_2.rptdesign (The system cannot find the path specified.)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.core.runtime.GUIException.createGUIException(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.util.ExceptionHandler.handle(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.ide.adapters.IDEFileReportProvider.getReportModuleHandle(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.ide.adapters.IDEFileReportProvider.getReportModuleHandle(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.editors.MultiPageReportEditor.addPages(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.editors.IDEMultiPageReportEditor.addPages(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.forms.editor.FormEditor.createPages(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.part.MultiPageEditorPart.createPartControl(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.editors.ReportEditorProxy.createPartControl(Unknown Source)

Don't know why it's using C:\2\RTCWorkspaces as C:\2 doesn't exist, the sandbox location is under C:\RTCWorkspaces\
However, I notice part of the Location URI in the Jazz Source Control properties for the project includes a "/2/" - sourcecontrol://jazz/C:/2/RTCWorkspaces/RTC%20Maintenance/RTC%20Reports?file:/C:/RTCWorkspaces/RTC%2520Maintenance/RTC%2520Reports - which I assume is relevant. It's the same for other files in the project, though, and their editors don't have any problem. So perhaps this is more a BIRT issue than an RTC one.

Andy

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Feb 18 '12, 9:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a known BIRT bug that causes the incompatibility with RTC Source Control. I think it has been fixed in recent versions of BIRT. A workaround is to copy the BIRT files to an Eclipse project that is not shared using RTC Source Control and edit it there. You can copy the file back to the original project when you need to deliver the changes.

Comments
Andrew Stevens commented Jul 07 '15, 6:24 a.m.

A slightly less cumbersome workaround that I'm currently using, running on windows...
I created a new workspace with the Rational Team Concert Shell, and loaded the project into that.  Then I used "import existing project" to add it to my RAD workspace.  As far as RAD is concerned, the project is unversioned so I'm able to use the visual report designer without any problems.  And I do the versioning in Windows Explorer using the RTC Shell's pending changes Explorer Bar.  Still not seamless, but less hassle than having to copy the files back and forth all the time...

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482629) | answered Feb 20 '12, 5:21 a.m.
This is a known BIRT bug that causes the incompatibility with RTC Source Control. I think it has been fixed in recent versions of BIRT. A workaround is to copy the BIRT files to an Eclipse project that is not shared using RTC Source Control and edit it there. You can copy the file back to the original project when you need to deliver the changes.

BIRT v3.7.1 still did the same but I've been told it's fixed in version 3.7.2, due to be released this month if their project plan is to be believed. Haven't had time to try that yet, but hopefully will do after the release.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Feb 26 '12, 6:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't think you will be able to use any version of BIRT more recent that 2.5.X with RTC 3.X. RTC 3.X embeds BIRT 2.5.2 in the server.
I think your only choice is the workaround I described above.

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482629) | answered Mar 06 '12, 10:32 a.m.
I don't think you will be able to use any version of BIRT more recent that 2.5.X with RTC 3.X. RTC 3.X embeds BIRT 2.5.2 in the server.
I think your only choice is the workaround I described above.

I think you missed the bit where I originally said "These are for use either standalone or within our own application, so in this instance I'm not worried about compatibility with running them inside the Jazz server." :-)

I already discovered the hard way that the BIRT designer included with Rational Application Developer produces reports that won't run on the BIRT engine in Rational Team Concert. How foolish of me to think the current versions of two Rational products would be compatible! But that's a discussion for a different thread...

Andy.

permanent link
Thorsten Eiseler (1) | answered Nov 25 '13, 3:05 a.m.
Hi,
I'm currently working with BIRT 4.2.2 plugged-in into Rational Application Developer 9. After having handed over my workspace projects to RTC 4.0.4 source control and I want to open the reports in the BIRT designer I'm still facing the same problems that were initially described at the top of this thread along with the same exception in the .log. file.
Is there still anyone else experiencing this same issue with BIRT related to RTC source control in these versions just mentioned?
in fact I'm circumventing this problem using the workaround proposed by Rafik

Thanks,
Thorsten

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.