It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

reverse operation

mehul Prajapati (18125554) | asked Jan 26 '12, 2:20 p.m.
retagged Jun 24 '14, 10:30 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
How revers operation works in RTC. if i have a changeset with 3 files
if i reverse a changeset it will bring all the 3 files in pending patches

will this files will always be compared with the latest version ?

Example if the changeset i reversed has file1 version 3 so will it compare file1 version 3 with version 6 ?

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Jan 27 '12, 3:30 a.m.
There are two ways to remove changes from a stream. The first way is to simply remove the according changeset from the stream. You do that by first discarding it from your workspace (use e.g. the history to get at the changeset and discard it from there). This of course requires that you don't have any changesets that depend on this one (i.e. modify the same files) or that you discard those changesets, too.

After you removed the changeset from your workspace, you replace the content of the stream with the content of your workspace. Note that the current state will be first backed up with a baseline. Also note that the discarded changeset will now appear as outgoing(!) on all other workspaces (e.g. those of your colleagues) which might lead to confusion. All you have to do there is to discard that changeset there, too.

If there are dependencies that prevent discarding a single changeset, the only way is to create other changesets. There you have again two options. Either you create a new changeset that reverses the changes in the one you want to discard (RTC offers a "reverse" option).

Alternatively, you discard the changeset and all those that depend on it and then recreate those that depend on it. For that, just try to accept them again, which will fail and create a patch instead. Apply the patch, check in and deliver. Note that here again the discarded changesets must also be discarded from other workspaces, otherwise they will show up as outgoing there, with similar but conflicting changesets in the incoming queue.

Uli

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 27 '12, 10:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you reverse version 3, it effectively diff's version 3 against
version 2 and subtracts those changes from version 6.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 1/26/2012 2:23 PM, mehulnp wrote:
How revers operation works in RTC. if i have a changeset with 3 files
if i reverse a changeset it will bring all the 3 files in pending
patches

will this files will always be compared with the latest version ?

Example if the changeset i reversed has file1 version 3 so will it compare file1 version 3
with version 6 ?

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.