It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting user photos from an external source?

Andrew Stevens (1482529) | asked Jan 26 '12, 10:42 a.m.
Hi,

I notice that the URLs used in the web client for user photos in e.g. Plans are of the form https://myjazzserver/jazz/service/com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.rest.IMemberPhotoService?itemId=_N4-OIJDFEeN_DJtu-mKfHA and I wondered if the "I" in IMemberPhotoService meant there was an interface I could create my own implementation of to have the images fetched from elsewhere?

We have an existing intranet-based phone directory that includes photos (at least, for users that have uploaded one). Thanks to Active Directory integration in both systems, these can be accessed by HTTP at a predictable URL - for a given Jazz user ID "12345678", the photo will be at <fixed URL prefix>/1234/12345678.jpg. For invalid IDs, or where one hasn't been uploaded, a placeholder GIF (!) is returned instead, but still with HTTP status 200 OK rather than a 404. I'm hoping the Jazz SDK might allow me to have the IMemberPhotoService REST requests redirect (or proxy) to the corresponding URLs and avoid all the users having to re-upload their pictures to another system... At least, that would sort out the web client, don't know if the desktop client uses the same REST calls.

Is this possible?

Andrew.

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 26 '12, 4:44 p.m.
sorry, I missed your question...

I thought you were having trouble with the URL.

what you WANT is the image to be a REFERENCE to the pic,not a COPY of the pic.

I don't think there is an externalized interface for that, and looking at the class definitions, there is an assumption that the data is stored IN the local repository..

the IContributorDetails class holds the picture reference, and it uses the same 'IContent' as is used for files.
"Represents a description of content that is stored in the repository."

Would have been a lot easier if this was an IReference object instead.

Sam

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482529) | answered Jan 26 '12, 11:26 a.m.
I thought the images were actually loaded onto the rtc server from whatever source.

then rtc delivers the data to the accessing client.

Sam

Yes, that's the way it currently works. Which is why I posted in the *Extending* Team Concert forum, not Using Team Concert :wink:

I'm trying to avoid the need for every user to re-upload their image when they've already done it in another system. Integrate, not duplicate...

Andrew.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 26 '12, 10:51 a.m.
I thought the images were actually loaded onto the rtc server from whatever source.

then rtc delivers the data to the accessing client.

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.