It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1 Linux plus z/OS upgrade to 3.0.1.2

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Jan 06 '12, 10:36 a.m.
A customer is running 3.0.1 JTS and CCM under WebSphere on zLinux and the 3.0.1 z/OS components (ISPF client, build toolkit, bfagent). They want to skip the 3.0.1.1 release and go directly to 3.0.1.2. If they upgrade the Linux server first will the 3.0.1 level z/OS functions still work without problems until they get upgraded to 3.0.1.2?

5 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jan 06 '12, 12:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donald

A change was made to the format of the build maps during 3.0.1.1 that means the build toolkit has to be migrated at the same time as the server. So the ISPF client and bfagent would be ok to keep at the 3.0.1 level but the build toolkit would need to be moved to 3.0.1.2 at the same time as the server.

If you are having to move the build toolkit then I would recommend moving all of the z?OS components at the same time.

Guy

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Jan 06 '12, 1:32 p.m.
Hi Donald

A change was made to the format of the build maps during 3.0.1.1 that means the build toolkit has to be migrated at the same time as the server. So the ISPF client and bfagent would be ok to keep at the 3.0.1 level but the build toolkit would need to be moved to 3.0.1.2 at the same time as the server.

If you are having to move the build toolkit then I would recommend moving all of the z?OS components at the same time.

Guy

Thanks

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Jan 09 '12, 7:52 a.m.
Hi Donald

Guy

Thanks

When upgrading from 3.0 to 3.0.1 in addition to instructions for upgrading the server (JTS and CCM) there were instructions for upgrading the z/OS parts as well (for those that need that) ----- https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/UpgradingTo301#Was3031Topic --- In reviewing the 3.0.1 to 3.0.1.1 I for z/OS parts (buildt toolkit etc.) I don't see any specific instructions for a parallel upgrade of the z/OS parts. Parallel meaning install into new paths and then "merge" from 3.0.1 where necessary. Will there be any specific z/OS instructions for 3.0.1 to 3.0.1.2 (build toolkit, bfagent, ISPF client)?

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jan 09 '12, 11:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donald

ok, I am back in the office and checked a couple of things out. Firstly, the build map change happened between 3.0 and 3.0.1 (and not 3.0.1.1 as I said in my initial answer to this)...so sorry about that piece of misinformation. So let me answer the initial question again and then move to the second question.

The answer to the initial question is that you can in fact upgrade the server to 3.0.1.2 and leave the z/OS specific parts (build toolkit, ISPF client etc) at the 3.0.1 level and all will work fine.

Now on to the second question..... For the 3.0.1 release we shipped PTF's that you could apply directly to the 3.0 installation and allow an upgrade path (since it was a point release). However, we also shipped SMP/E packages that allowed you to do a fresh, new install at the 3.0.1 level since it was a new release.
However, for fixpak releases (3.0.1.1, 3.0.1.2, 3.0.1.3) there will not be this parallel installation option. We will only ship PTF's that a customer would apply on top of their existing 3.0.1.x installation. This is how a z/OS customer would expect a fixpak release to be installed.
So the answer to your question is no, there will not be any instructions for a parallel upgrade since this is not how a z/OS customer would install a fixpak release.

Guy

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Jan 09 '12, 1:12 p.m.
Hi Donald

ok, I am back in the office and checked a couple of things out. Firstly, the build map change happened between 3.0 and 3.0.1 (and not 3.0.1.1 as I said in my initial answer to this)...so sorry about that piece of misinformation. So let me answer the initial question again and then move to the second question.

The answer to the initial question is that you can in fact upgrade the server to 3.0.1.2 and leave the z/OS specific parts (build toolkit, ISPF client etc) at the 3.0.1 level and all will work fine.

Now on to the second question..... For the 3.0.1 release we shipped PTF's that you could apply directly to the 3.0 installation and allow an upgrade path (since it was a point release). However, we also shipped SMP/E packages that allowed you to do a fresh, new install at the 3.0.1 level since it was a new release.
However, for fixpak releases (3.0.1.1, 3.0.1.2, 3.0.1.3) there will not be this parallel installation option. We will only ship PTF's that a customer would apply on top of their existing 3.0.1.x installation. This is how a z/OS customer would expect a fixpak release to be installed.
So the answer to your question is no, there will not be any instructions for a parallel upgrade since this is not how a z/OS customer would install a fixpak release.

Guy

Ok - thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.