It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Update Time Tracking (Formal Process) Using Pre-Condition

Arun Batra (14612427) | asked Dec 14 '11, 9:36 a.m.
Hi,

I wish to add an entry to the Time Tracking table (in Formal Process Template) of a WorkItem using an operation advisor/partcipant.

Is it possible to do?

If not, are there any other methods to achieve this programatically?

I will be grateful for any help/hints.

Thanks,
Arun

5 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 15 '11, 8:12 a.m.
>I agree, all the data is in the history, but instead of searching for it there..

well, you don't 'search' for it, you report what is present..

I'm not a Business Intelligence guy (analytics report writer), but the database SQL doesn't seem that hard.
and even IF you made all these data changes, you would still have to do the SQL work to present it.

Sam

permanent link
Arun Batra (14612427) | answered Dec 15 '11, 5:14 a.m.
Hi Sam,

Let me clear any doubts, a Task in my example goes through multiple assignments during its workflow. Each person working on it is updating the Time Spent attribute, adding the new time taken to the value already present.
Hence at the end we clearly get how much total time was spent on the Task to complete it. But we are looking for a further breakdown. i.e. Who all worked on it and how much time did each one spend.
I agree, all the data is in the history, but instead of searching for it there (which can be tiresome if the history is big), I am looking for a way to store the time spent value and the assigned user name in the Time Tracking sheet. So that it can be viewed easily. (This was the workaround we were considering.)
We do want to view this data as part of the retrospective.

(I do understand that RTC is not configured to work like this and that each Task should have one owner only during all of its states. But we desperately need a solution to view this data.)

Is it possible to create a report/query/... to present this existing data?
If this is possible to do, we will discard the previous work around and start working with this.
How do we achieve this?

Thanks,
Arun

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 14 '11, 10:39 a.m.
well, two things..

1. isn't this data in the history? so you need a report/query/... to present the existing data (assignment, change and time elapsed each)

2. why do you want to see this level of detail? the burndown shows completed items vs scheduled..

it would seem, to me, that what you want to know is how many items get shuffled thru multiple people to resolve...
this would be an indicator of improper story/task breakdown, or skill assessment (aka sizing).. you would review that as part of the retrospective, and not as part of the sprint operation cycle..

but again, you want a report of the number of workitems handled by multiple people.. not how long they spent each.. I think..

sam

permanent link
Arun Batra (14612427) | answered Dec 14 '11, 10:15 a.m.
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the quick reply.

For example, there is a Task which goes through multiple assignments.

I want to view (preferably in one location) who are the people which have worked on it how much time did each one spend?

All these entries I want to update/add through the pre-condition or any other solution.

My end motive is to view this data in a Plan. If Possible.

Any alternative solutions to get this kind of data are desperately welcome.

Thanks,
Arun

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 14 '11, 9:41 a.m.
can u tell us a little more?

what history/actions are not recorded that you think you need..

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.