It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to report defect workitems using approvals, impeds, etc

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Dec 08 '11, 10:46 a.m.
We are trying to work thru changes to the defect workflow to support our business teams.. there are 60 some odd processes now, and we are trying to re-engineer to one master structure, with optional subsets..

but, at the end of the day, we need to REPORT on the status and progress of the work on the defect backlog.

here is an example of a problem

.. some teams produce documentation that is published along with the actual technical code solution.. this documentation goes thru a review process, in parallel with the code.. no problem.. I can make a related workitem..
(we created a blocking 'depends on' operation advisor, see enhancement 182769 )..
1. how to tell that workitem 1 is 'waiting' cause workitem 2 is not complete
workitem 1 is 'in progress'.
2. workitem 2 is a task, with approvals. how can we tell how long
is has been waiting on approval? it also is 'in progress'.

if I use impediments as blockers on defects.. how can I tell how LONG a workitem has been waiting?

our defect resolution time is in the multi-digit DAYS number.. there are LOTS (1,000's) of defect workitem in progress concurrently. reporting is critical..

how long do they take, start to finish, where in the workflow do they spend their most time, what are the exceptions to the flow, is one person having trouble, is a team having trouble, is a product having trouble,
how many times do the support front line get the cause wrong (or right),
how many times does the support backline reject things, how long does it take to get to the rejection, how long after the cause is determined before a fix appears.. how long does it take the customer to verify the fix.. how many fixes are reworked (rejected).. how does new product compare to old product, how does one product compare to another, and a 100 (1000?) other questions..

I don't see how to get that from the standard RTC data, unless we add discrete workitem states.

reporting should be 'easy' to learn and execute.. (ie, I shouldn't have to hire a reporting tool MBA type to get the data out of the system, and I should have to spend months training the technical staff to use checkbox Y to get the data right so reports will work)..

help!!
sam

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.