It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

We'd like to be able to compare a file included in a pending

Adil Chahid (45524118) | asked Nov 30 '11, 4:55 p.m.
Hi all,
We'd like to be able to compare a file included in a pending proposed incoming change with the currently uncommitted local version of the file.
Currently the only work around that we have found is to actually check-in the file and from the pending changes (from the Incoming and Outgoing section) we choose the scoped files and compare them with each other from the Contextual menu.
Please advise if there is a way to compare ongoing work with conflicting pending incoming change without actually checking in the file.
We thank you for your collaboration.

As mentionned in Enhancement: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=186810

4 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 13 '11, 4:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Rather than having parallel discussions in the forum and work item
186810, let's continue the discussion in the work item, now that it has
been created. (In particular, I'll post my comments there :-).

Cheers,
Geoff

On 12/13/2011 11:23 AM, thunder wrote:
As posted by Eric Benzacar in
Enhancement

@DavidL,

Holy cow, that sounds like a convoluted solution. I agree with
@AdilC. In other SCM tools (CVS, SVN, git, Perforce, etc), I am able
to easily compare an incoming change against my local copy. However,
RTC seems to make it a significantly harder task. In other SCMs, I
can simply click my file and compare against the pending change. So
basically, a 1 click functionality (or 2 at the most). In RTC, I'm
asked to either checkin my current local copy (a step that requires
additional effort - 1 or 2 clicks, plus entering a checkin-in
comment, etc), and then compare, or a complex option (4 or 5 clicks
plus needing to remember the name of the incoming stream, the
baseline, the component, etc...).

I am very surprised not to see this basic functionality already
built-in as a 1 step compare process.

Thanks,

Eric

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Dec 13 '11, 11:09 a.m.
As posted by Eric Benzacar in Enhancement 186810

@DavidL,

Holy cow, that sounds like a convoluted solution. I agree with @AdilC. In other SCM tools (CVS, SVN, git, Perforce, etc), I am able to easily compare an incoming change against my local copy. However, RTC seems to make it a significantly harder task. In other SCMs, I can simply click my file and compare against the pending change. So basically, a 1 click functionality (or 2 at the most). In RTC, I'm asked to either checkin my current local copy (a step that requires additional effort - 1 or 2 clicks, plus entering a checkin-in comment, etc), and then compare, or a complex option (4 or 5 clicks plus needing to remember the name of the incoming stream, the baseline, the component, etc...).

I am very surprised not to see this basic functionality already built-in as a 1 step compare process.

Thanks,

Eric

permanent link
Adil Chahid (45524118) | answered Dec 13 '11, 11:07 a.m.
Hi @daviddl, there is nothing bad about check-in the file.
It is a question of mentality that developers have developed with time when using other SCM tooling: they do not check-in for backup purposes but for sharing/backup purposes.
So when I'll tell them to backup the file (since it is a good practise) there will be complaining about the number of steps involved when check-in manually for the sake of comparing with the incoming proposed changes.
Since we cannot control the file size of the files that we want to actually automatically or periodically upload on the server, we are not proposing by standard to developers to enable auto-checkin mecanism since in the past IDE and Server performance were degrading since some developers where automatically checkin in huge files (10 Megs and more)

I definitively prefer the check-in solution compared to the multi-steps "Compare With" --> "Remote..." and then select "Component in another repository workspace or stream"

That said do you still think that this enhancement proposal is valid?
I thank you for your time!

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Nov 30 '11, 6:01 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi all,
We'd like to be able to compare a file included in a pending proposed incoming change with the currently uncommitted local version of the file.
Currently the only work around that we have found is to actually check-in the file and from the pending changes (from the Incoming and Outgoing section) we choose the scoped files and compare them with each other from the Contextual menu.
Please advise if there is a way to compare ongoing work with conflicting pending incoming change without actually checking in the file.
We thank you for your collaboration.

As mentionned in Enhancement: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=186810

You can right-click on the file in the "Unresolved" folder and select "Compare With" --> "Remote..." and then select "Component in another repository workspace or stream" and choose the Stream you are flowing with. This will open up a compare editor with the left side showing my local unchecked in changes and the right side showing the contents of the incoming change. (If I understood what you are looking to do correctly).

Also we encourage users to check-in often. The change set (if you don't mark it as complete) can be modified in the future, or you can discard your changes from it, or you can suspend it.... nothing bad ever comes from checking in changes to a change set. Out of curiosity, why are you avoiding checking in the locally modified files?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.