It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1.1 How to move a project area to another RTC server

Adriano Fanelli (2332929) | asked Nov 30 '11, 4:27 a.m.
Hello Folks,
how to move a project area to another RTC v.3.0.1.1 server?

Thanx in advance

Adriano

11 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 30 '11, 6:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

this is currently not possible for many reasons. It is also not possible to change the server URI which includes the server names etc. There are work items for it.

The best you could try in my oppinion is export the process template, recreate the project. Export the work items you want to move to CSV or a Bugzilla format, import them and use the distributed SCM capabilities to pull over the source code.

permanent link
Adriano Fanelli (2332929) | answered Dec 06 '11, 10:00 a.m.
Hi,

this is currently not possible for many reasons. It is also not possible to change the server URI which includes the server names etc. There are work items for it.

The best you could try in my oppinion is export the process template, recreate the project. Export the work items you want to move to CSV or a Bugzilla format, import them and use the distributed SCM capabilities to pull over the source code.

Thanx Ralph for your replay ... do you please have guideline how to do it because I'm not familiar with how to Export and all the rest you suggested.
In particular how to use the distributed SCM capabilities to pull over the source code.
Is it possible to export also the plans?
Thanx in advance

Adriano F.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 06 '11, 10:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here's an outline for bringing SCM content over:
- in Eclipse UI, with connections for original repo1 and new repo2, and original stream S1 in repo1,
- create new stream S2 and workspace W2 in repo2
- open workspace editor for W2
- in the Flow Targets section, add flow target to S1 in repo1 ("Use another repository" option)
- in the Components section, "Add components from another repository workspace or stream", choose repository repo1, search for S1 in text box, select stream and add all components, Finish
- save workspace

You now have a workspace in repo2 that has the content from S1, and has flow targets to both S1 and S2. You can then deliver (or replace components) from W2 to S2.

permanent link
Adriano Fanelli (2332929) | answered Dec 06 '11, 11:05 a.m.
Here's an outline for bringing SCM content over:
- in Eclipse UI, with connections for original repo1 and new repo2, and original stream S1 in repo1,
- create new stream S2 and workspace W2 in repo2
- open workspace editor for W2
- in the Flow Targets section, add flow target to S1 in repo1 ("Use another repository" option)
- in the Components section, "Add components from another repository workspace or stream", choose repository repo1, search for S1 in text box, select stream and add all components, Finish
- save workspace

You now have a workspace in repo2 that has the content from S1, and has flow targets to both S1 and S2. You can then deliver (or replace components) from W2 to S2.

Thx Nick,
one more question ... the 2 Repo are at different RTC level.
Toronto server is discontinuing the server and don't think that will upgrade to 3.0.1.1 that is our level. Could it be possible anyway? And will I loose the Story of the Project?
Regards, Adriano

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 06 '11, 12:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hm, you may need to:
- install a separate temporary server at the current Toronto server level
- do what I suggested above to bring the SCM content over
- upgrade the temp server to 3.0.1.1
- do the SCM steps again to bring the content from the temp server over to the real server

permanent link
Riccardo Rossi (3187) | answered Dec 06 '11, 12:20 p.m.
Hm, you may need to:
- install a separate temporary server at the current Toronto server level
- do what I suggested above to bring the SCM content over
- upgrade the temp server to 3.0.1.1
- do the SCM steps again to bring the content from the temp server over to the real server

I think that with these steps we migrate only the final version of the source code. Is there a way to don't lose the change history of each file?

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Dec 06 '11, 12:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
My understanding is that it will bring over the complete history, particularly if the components are at a baseline level. I've asked someone from the SCM team to confirm though.

permanent link
John Camelon (1.7k14) | answered Dec 06 '11, 12:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
My understanding is that it will bring over the complete history, particularly if the components are at a baseline level. I've asked someone from the SCM team to confirm though.

Full component/item history is maintained with the use of distributed scm / x-repo change set flows using the Eclipse, VS or CLI clients.

The intent to upgrade the server to the equivalent version before replicating changes between them is a good idea. We do not support N-1 replication as of yet.

Thanks

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 06 '11, 1:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, the distributed SCM mechanism will bring over the change-set
history, not just the latest version. (Not sure what Nick had in mind
with "particularly if the components are at a baseline level" ... the
presence or absence of baselines should not effect whether or not
history is carried over.)

Note that "change-set history" does not include the work items
themselves ... those are not replicated into the target repository by
the SCM deliver operation.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 12/6/2011 12:38 PM, nedgar wrote:
My understanding is that it will bring over the complete history,
particularly if the components are at a baseline level. I've asked
someone from the SCM team to confirm though.

permanent link
Riccardo Rossi (3187) | answered Dec 07 '11, 8:40 a.m.
The feature to change the flow target to point to another Jazz server is not available in Jazz 2 but on in Jazz 3.

Is there another way to do the migration saving the source history?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.