It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Baseline question

mehul Prajapati (18125554) | asked Nov 07 '11, 11:22 a.m.
Hi,

can i include a change set source file in an already created baseline.

Example:
1. We deployed to production and baseline 1 (BL1) was created
2. There is an emergency fix in one of the component
3. developers will fix the code and checkin and deliver the code
4. we want to include this change set in the same Baseline as BL1

Do we have to remove the already created Baseline BL1 and than reapply the BL1 or we can overwrite the Baseline BL (i.e create a Baseline again on BL1)

what is the good practice.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Jeff Foege (45266960) | answered Nov 07 '11, 5:49 p.m.
When documenting baseline for other people to retrieve files from be sure you also document the number the baseline gets. I would also document the text description of the baseline as well however the text in this field can be duplicated. For example:

32: Release 1.2.3.4
45: Release 1.2.3.4

Are two totally different baselines. I wish it wasn't allowed to have duplicate text descriptions.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Nov 07 '11, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Baselines are immutable. I would consider it best practice to deliver the fix and create a new baseline (BL1a or BL2). Keeping the same name could cause confusion as to which baseline has the fix. There is no need to remove the previous baseline.

Comments
Jeff Foege commented Oct 01 '12, 3:31 p.m.

We change the revision number on some files during the build process. I ended up forgetting to deliver those files but now there has been a bunch of baselines created since then. I wanted to fix that baseline with the files that had the proper version. Many other SCM systems allows you to apply a baseline/tag/label so specific revisions.

The way I see it working with RTC's limitation would be to load the previous baseline. Fix those files and deliver them. Then start accepting the incoming stuff. To me not being able to fix/modify baselines after the fact is a huge limitation that other systems can handle.

I discovered this afternoon that I forgot to deliver the files with the updated version numbers in them after I applied the baseline. Unfortunately there were 27 new baselines delivered since then. So if someone were to load that baseline and build the software it will have the incorrect version number which can cause problems.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.