It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to I export a language definition in RTC?

Dylan Cheong (111) | asked Nov 03 '11, 7:28 a.m.
retagged Aug 11 '17, 9:38 a.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Is there a way to export the language definition in RTC for Enterprise Extensions for z/OS? This is so that we do not have to assigned the definition in every file again and again.

I noticed that in the link below, we create a "default language definition".
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/3.0M7a?p=news
However, I could not find anywhere else to do this.

Thanks.

7 answers

permanent link
Dhinesh Palanisamy (1510) | answered Aug 04 '17, 3:25 a.m.
edited Aug 04 '17, 3:26 a.m.

Hi,

While trying to export the System Definition Generator by using Ant Build, facing issue similar to java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: itemHandle must not be nullplease let us know if we are missing anything.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="sysdef" default="all" xmlns:id="antlib:com.ibm.team.enterprise.zos.systemdefinition.toolkit">
<description> system definiton export</description>
<!-- initialize the system definiton tool -->
<!--target name="init"-->
   <id:init 
      repositoryAddress="https://xxxxxxxxxxxx:9443/ccm/" 
      userId="xxxxx"
      password="xxxxx" 
      projectArea="xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx​"/>
<!--/target-->
<target name="export" description="Export existing system definitions to the specified file">
     <!--id:export file="D:/fgt/exportdtl.xml"/-->
     <id:export file="D:/fgt/exporteddtl_globally.xml" global="false"/>
</target>
<target name="all" depends="export" description="final" />
</project>

Error:
Buildfile: C:\Users\workspace\Sysdef\src\def.xml

BUILD FAILED
C:\Users\workspace\Sysdef\src\def.xml:11: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: itemHandle must not be null

Please let us know if we want to add anything or else missing something...

Thanks.

permanent link
Shinobu Ishida (1371915) | answered Dec 15 '11, 1:30 a.m.
Takamiya-san...

Great! It worked well!
Thank you so much.

The answer is Yes.

The doc is somehow misleading. The first sentence of the note starting with Important: (When you export the build XML, you also create new system definitions.) should have been like:

When you run the system definitions generator with the exported build XML, a new set of system definitions are created.

It means that the ExportTask exports the contents of system definitions to an XML file, but it would not export system definitions themselves. So you need to re-run the ResolveMetadataTask to associate your source files with the newly created system definitions.

Hi, Takamiya-san

Thanks!
I have a further question.
Do I have to run the ResolveMetadataTask after the ExportTask?

permanent link
Tami Takamiya (2011110) | answered Dec 14 '11, 9:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The answer is Yes.

The doc is somehow misleading. The first sentence of the note starting with Important: (When you export the build XML, you also create new system definitions.) should have been like:

When you run the system definitions generator with the exported build XML, a new set of system definitions are created.

It means that the ExportTask exports the contents of system definitions to an XML file, but it would not export system definitions themselves. So you need to re-run the ResolveMetadataTask to associate your source files with the newly created system definitions.

Hi, Takamiya-san

Thanks!

permanent link
Shinobu Ishida (1371915) | answered Dec 14 '11, 4:42 a.m.
Hi, Takamiya-san

Thanks!

Ishida-san,

Please look at the ExportTask section on
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_RTCz_usingLDG.html

Hi, tamichan.

I have to export the language definitions and the dataset definitions, too.
How can I use &quot;System definitions generator&quot; to export systems definitions to an XML file?
Is it a feature of Eclipse or something? I can not find it in RTC3.0.1 nfocenter.

Thanks!

permanent link
Tami Takamiya (2011110) | answered Dec 02 '11, 10:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ishida-san,

Please look at the ExportTask section on
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_RTCz_usingLDG.html

Hi, tamichan.

How can I use &quot;System definitions generator&quot; to export systems definitions to an XML file?
Is it a feature of Eclipse or something? I can not find it in RTC3.0.1 nfocenter.

Thanks!

permanent link
Shinobu Ishida (1371915) | answered Dec 02 '11, 7:32 a.m.
Hi, tamichan.

Thanks!

Is there a way to export the language definition in RTC for Enterprise Extensions for z/OS? This is so that we do not have to assigned the definition in every file again and again.

I noticed that in the link below, we create a &quot;default language definition&quot;.

Thanks.

System definitions generator in RTC 3.0.1 provides a way to export systems definitions including language definitions to an XML file, but it does not export the associations between files and language definitions. For eliminating the need for assigning language definitions to every file, using the default language definition feature would be a good idea.

In order to use the default language definition feature, you only have to specify the File Extensions in the Language Definition editor. For example, if the File Extensions contains &quot;cbl&quot;, files with the &quot;cbl&quot; extension, like &quot;ABC.cbl&quot; or &quot;XYZ.cbl&quot; will be handled as if they are associated with the language definition.

permanent link
Tami Takamiya (2011110) | answered Nov 03 '11, 9:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I noticed that in the link below, we create a &quot;default language definition&quot;.

Thanks.

System definitions generator in RTC 3.0.1 provides a way to export systems definitions including language definitions to an XML file, but it does not export the associations between files and language definitions. For eliminating the need for assigning language definitions to every file, using the default language definition feature would be a good idea.

In order to use the default language definition feature, you only have to specify the File Extensions in the Language Definition editor. For example, if the File Extensions contains &quot;cbl&quot;, files with the &quot;cbl&quot; extension, like &quot;ABC.cbl&quot; or &quot;XYZ.cbl&quot; will be handled as if they are associated with the language definition.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.