It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

unable to add a plugin as a precondition for Save Work Item

Anu Francis (2121) | asked Nov 01 '11, 1:54 a.m.
I am unable to add a plugin as a precondition for Save Work Item Event.
I have followed all the steps as mentioned in the following link- https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/extendingrtc/entry/checksummaryadvisor?lang=en

I have built the created site and created .ini file for the profile too.
But after restarting the server, the plugin is not showing in Add Preconditions List.
The sample plugin which I have created is check summary advisor, which should have been listed in Preconditions, but is missing.

Please let me know what possibly i have missed.

11 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 11 '11, 10:29 a.m.
so.. followup.. this works great in dev under tomcat.

I packaged the plugin update site, and the provision profile ini to deploy on our production environment test server under Websphere running 3.0.1

We don't see any errors in the log (under tomcat it screams if the ini file path is wrong), but the precondition entry does not appear in the list.

how do we debug this?

Sam

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 08 '11, 1:39 p.m.
The completed 3.0.1 version, re-built under 3.0 works fine.. (binary worked too)

weird..

Sam

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 08 '11, 8:40 a.m.
thanks.. I have two separate dev environments.. 3.0 iFix 1 (same as our production) and 3.0.1 (after the workitem comment date enhancement )

I had already removed the version from the dependencies.

still trying to get over the hump of handle to object.. see my other post. (help!)

I had removed all the other stuff in the sample and just referenced the required plugins for this precondition operationadvisor.

Sam

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 07 '11, 5:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sam,

there is a version of the workshop for 3.0 too. The only differences between 3.0 and 3.0.1 with respect of plug-ins and their deployment should be plug in versions.

I'd set up the SDK for 3.0 - you can do that in parallel. I would check if the required packages are available and try it out in debugging mode.

Another place to look are the manifest files. If there are specific versions of required dependencies, you could try to get rid of the version.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 04 '11, 6:11 p.m.
just fyi..

I added this plugin site directory and ini provisioning profile to my 3.0.1 instance and all works as expected.. this was a binary file copy..

so, something on 3.0 iFix 1 is different.. how can I solve that problem??

Sam

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 04 '11, 11:46 a.m.
I am having the exact same problem (plugin loads, but is not shown in list)

https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20537

and it appears Anu and I are having the same fundamental problem.

we think we have it defined correctly, but the system doesn't behave like it should.

My Activator class loads and start() is called.. I see the message in the server console. my run() method is never called. because I can't configure it.

the fact that the activator runs tells me all the marked dependencies were met.

Sam

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 04 '11, 9:02 a.m.
Hi,

I would set up a local test system to develop, debug and test - maybe just run the workshop once for you. I would use exactly the setup from the workshop. It just helps in so many ways. Once your plug in works there you could be more certain you can successfully deploy and run your plug-in. If you don't you are likely go through a lot of issues and end up falling back to my proposal anyway. 8-)

I would really consider it.

permanent link
Anu Francis (2121) | answered Nov 04 '11, 7:43 a.m.
I would suggest to first set up the dev environment as in the workshop. You have to add the plug-in to the debug configuration. You also have to specify the services needed in the plugin.xml as shown in the workshop. Otherwise it will not work. If you run your debug configuration with the plugins included, it should show up. You should be able to debug as well. Otherwise you got the plugin.xml or the extension point data wrong.

With no example code you use it is impossible to answer questions - there is just not enough data to narrow down the issue.

Hi Ralph,

I just checked i don't have 10 free developer license but I do have one TRial Developer license.
I have also not configured debug setup.
Is it required?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 03 '11, 9:21 a.m.
I would suggest to first set up the dev environment as in the workshop. You have to add the plug-in to the debug configuration. You also have to specify the services needed in the plugin.xml as shown in the workshop. Otherwise it will not work. If you run your debug configuration with the plugins included, it should show up. You should be able to debug as well. Otherwise you got the plugin.xml or the extension point data wrong.

With no example code you use it is impossible to answer questions - there is just not enough data to narrow down the issue.

permanent link
Anu Francis (2121) | answered Nov 03 '11, 9:08 a.m.
You might want to look at the Extension workshop in the library, since that is somewhat more detailed.

I have seen sometimes see with Eclipse extensions that the build configuration does not export the plugin.xml or other vital information. You should check that.

Thanks Ralph.
I went through the workshop tutorials.
Found few thing useful and complecated as well.
I have tried creating the plugin few times more and still unable to add the Advisor as a Precondition for the specific project.
I am working on RTC 3.0.1.
I have started learning RTC few days back only, so not much expertised in dealing with RTC Extension.
Found the good article in the above mentioned link so tried that.
What I want to achieve is,
Customize Project Area/ Work Items.
I want to update the attributes(Built-in/Customized) of a Work Items(Parent/child) dynamically, at the time of creating a new work item.
For this I found that creating a Plug-in will be a good option, but I got stuck at the initial stage itself.

Can you please tell me whether I am moving in right direction or is there any other approach to achieve this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.