It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

XML Import validation end, but button are not enabled

Erwin Kunz (94686986) | asked Oct 31 '11, 9:26 a.m.
RTC 3.0.1, Windows, DB2, MSP2007

I've exported a Release Backlog plan from a Agile process to XML. I was also able to open it in MS Project 2007.

Now I would like to import it in a new Project Area where I created an empty Release Backlog plan.

after selecting the XML I get the Message "Validating..." and after a handfull seconds it ends without any message.

But... the NEXT or FINISH button are not aktiv.

Any Idea what this validating process is doing?

I found a post about empty ressources; what I checked.

Strange is also what I found in https://jazz.net/library/article/590
"The planning component now supports importing and exporting of project plans. Import and export of plans is only supported in the Web UI. The import uses the Microsoft Project 2008 project XML file format."

There is no such version 2008; at least for Windows.

I was also a bit surprised to see the "import function" as subchapter of "Traditional Planning with RTC "

Does that mean that for agile it doesn't work??

Thanks
erwin

5 answers

permanent link
Sharoon Shetty Kuriyala (55133) | answered Nov 02 '11, 8:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

The version of MS Project supported is 2007. Looks like the article has a typo about the version we will get that fixed .

MS Project Import and Export is supported in Agile and Traditional plan. It would help to see the logs to understand more about the failure while importing the xml. If you see any exceptions in the logs let us know it would help in debugging this further.

Note: There is one work item which reports of a similar issue: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/173906

Thanks,
Sharoon - Planning team

RTC 3.0.1, Windows, DB2, MSP2007

I've exported a Release Backlog plan from a Agile process to XML. I was also able to open it in MS Project 2007.

Now I would like to import it in a new Project Area where I created an empty Release Backlog plan.

after selecting the XML I get the Message "Validating..." and after a handfull seconds it ends without any message.

But... the NEXT or FINISH button are not aktiv.

Any Idea what this validating process is doing?

I found a post about empty ressources; what I checked.

Strange is also what I found in https://jazz.net/library/article/590
"The planning component now supports importing and exporting of project plans. Import and export of plans is only supported in the Web UI. The import uses the Microsoft Project 2008 project XML file format."

There is no such version 2008; at least for Windows.

I was also a bit surprised to see the "import function" as subchapter of "Traditional Planning with RTC "

Does that mean that for agile it doesn't work??

Thanks
erwin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 01 '11, 2:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
And the logs, there are only the logs in the log folder in Tomcat or in a similar place in the websphere profile. I am not sure that helps.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 01 '11, 2:49 a.m.
Hi,

that sounds odd. It always worked for me. You could try different browsers or create a PMR or work item.

I agree that the import story could be enhanced. CSV is somewhat limited.

The MS Project import does a bit more, it allows to set iteration start and end, at least in formal. It also allows to map users and helps with allocations of those - in formal again. I have not tried it in agile. It does not do everything. It does not create iterations - you have to be in a plan that needs all that in the first place. I am also not sure it the format carries things such as iterations.

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Oct 31 '11, 2:30 p.m.
I did First Run the same using MSP 2010, without success.

then I tried a very very easy thing. I exported the release backlog created during creation of the project, and tried to import it. Again the validation run for 10 -20 seconds. no error no warning, just nothing. but button where still disabled.

is there a log file somewhere where I coul find a hint

I know the csv solution, and used it with success several time. but it's quite difficult to handle when you've linked work items.
I'm also hoping that the MSP import does a bit more, like creating the timeline, the categories and teams. could be that I'm dreaming awake :?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 31 '11, 12:54 p.m.
I think it was MSP 2006. Not sure.

You could try with a small set of work items from a plan. I am not sure what the validation does, I assume it prepares for the mapping of types and users so it has to go through all items. I have heard that it can take a while.

The import was always presented in the context of Gantt in the milestones towards 3.0 so it ended up in that section. I actually missed it is available for agile templates as well. so it ended up being in that section.

Another way to mass import/export - even with update which the MS project import does not provide yet -would be using CSV export/import in the eclipse client.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.